adding a cable outlet...DIY?

evan9381

is this something i can do myself? i have 2 cable outlets in my bedroom, which used to be 2 rooms. they're ~5 feet away from each other on the same wall. cable company has them run from the box up the side of the house and just drilled in thru the wall. now the one cable outlet, we ended up using that as an electric outlet, so the cable is now just stuffed in the wall

i would like to put an outlet on the other end of my basement room that is right below the current spot. can i just take a big drill bit, run it thru the wall into my laundry room, down the corner of the wall, and thru the wall to come into the living area of the basement and put a generic cable cover there?

heres a sketch for an idea of how i want to do it...

the red x is where the box outside is, red is where i would run the cable...yellow bar is the wall seperating the laundry room and living area.

and i could just put the outlet on the wall, but thats how it is where i have my tv now, and it looks shitty having a cable coming off the wall at chest height the over to the TV. id like it to be hidden behind where i want to put the TV

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/basement2.jpg?t=1258087265

That stuff isn't too hard to do, but it's hard to picture over the internet exactly what you mean. The wire would just need to be moved/extended to the new spot, how you run it is up to you. Cable companies are almost always lazy anymore and just run it up the side of the house, but that can be fixed too. Let me know if I can answer any of your questions with more detail.

yeah, i understand its kinda confusing...i should have clarified, its a half basement, so ground level outside is about chest high when in the basement. the outlets upstairs are about 8' off the ground

you're the other electrician here right? you looking for any side work while chad (GTPnLS1) is out of town? he was gonna stop by and see if he could figure out why my lights out front keep burning out within 2-3 weeks, but didnt have time before he left, and wont be back until end of december. ive got 3 lights out front and 2 die with the quickness...even with those long lasting CFL bulbs.

heres a shot of both of them running up the back of the house. the one on the left is no more...on the right is still in use...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMG_2748.jpg?t=1258088604.

the new wire would run in to room where that window is, and thru the wall into the main area to the left.

yeah, i understand its kinda confusing...i should have clarified, its a half basement, so ground level outside is about chest high when in the basement. the outlets upstairs are about 10' off the ground

you're the other electrician here right? you looking for any side work while chad (GTPnLS1) is out of town? he was gonna stop by and see if he could figure out why my lights out front keep burning out within 2-3 weeks, but didnt have time before he left, and wont be back until end of december. ive got 3 lights out front and 2 die with the quickness...even with those long lasting CFL bulbs.

I could do that, but I'm more into helping people figure out how to do it right. I'm not too fond of sidework. If you want some help I can come by and give some lessons, but you'll be the one working.

well, just to update, i feel like an idiot. i pulled out the couch to move it to where i want it to be to check fitment, and what do i find??? cable outlet! i dont know why i was thinking that when i moved in, the one in the stupid spot on the wall was the only one in the room.

now to move all the surround sound cables again and ill be set...

Sweet. Nothing better than an easy fix. If you need any further help routing cables up walls or anything let me know. I need help moving a bunch of wiring as well. I am very willing to help anyone who can help me out.

Like my great-grandfather use to say, "I am a jack of all trades; master of none."

So, if you ever need any help like this in the future, let me know.

-Mike

well, just to update...was up til ~430 last night moving couches, running surround speakers, tv/stand, etc. get it hooked up, doesnt work. called WOW, she tried to send the signal, reset the box, etc, still nothing

get up today to make sure everything was hooked up right, looked good. took a long cable and ran it from the old outlet, and it works...

so i guess the 2 cable outlets coming out of the ground by my box outside, but not hooked up to anything are probably for this outlet. they're going to send someone out tomorrow between 2 and 4. hopefully its earlier as possible because the game is at 330