4L60E do it yourself?

Awfulcanawful

Ive got a 96 chevy 1500 pickup transmission just pooped for the third time. Pulled the pan had metal in it. Pulled trans and I am going to attempt to build it myself this time. Paid to have it done two times before gonna give it a go myself this time. Anyone have any tips or tricks to tear this thing down and put the pieces back together. Or any special tools that most people wouldnt have.

Guest Removed

if theres metal in it, then something is wearing metal on metal in it..

i learned something a long time ago, that most good transmission guys are anal. and there's is a reason why. you get one spring out of place, or miss one piece of metal inside it some where and your doing it all over again.

• 3 weeks later...
so I tackled this by myself and found the rear planetary set was trashed. I have a service manual for a 94 but my ride is a 96 and i am having trouble figuring out the order for the springs in relation to the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulator pistons in the valve. The book shows one way but the wear pattern on the spacer plate shows another I just wanna get it right anyone got any ideas here? Edited by Awfulcanawful
grammar

• 3 weeks later...