ceramic knives?

evan9381

anyone have these that get used regularly? i was at my dads and he has a small paring knife and it was sharp as hell. amazed me. looked online and read about the way they fire the ceramic actually makes it harder than the stainless steel used in most knives (IIRC, ceramic was an 8.0 on hardness scale and SS was like 6 or 6.5). thus they are supposed to hold the blade much better. downside is they cant be sharpened with regular stones because the stone is softer than the ceramic, and obviously, they can be brittle.

i just want to see if they're worth what im finding them for...bed bath and beyond has a 5.5" santoku knife for $80, and a 7" chefs knife for $100...and ive got a couple dozen 20% off coupons...id like to find a 7" santoku knife, but no luck so far, so i might just go for the chefs knife.

anyone have opinions? just want to check before i go drop a good chunk of change for a single knife.

I've been wondering as well. They've been on the market for years and years, but I still see steel knives in most of the kitchens I catch a glimpse of. I've also seen the ceramic knives "never need sharpening" but I don't know about that. The first time you drop one and lose $60 will be shitty though.

that'd be a comment you could use in the thread about that guys watch that costs thousands of dollars. im talking about a $65 knife (after the 20% off coupon). lol

Yeah I see what you're saying. I dunno. How often do you cook at home? Chop up veggies and stuff? I do it probably 4-5 times a week (I'm the cook in the house, my wife can't boil water) :).

I dunno. I'm happy with the set I got. A few pearing knifes, filet knife, seraded knife, big knife, medium knife, and a big ass butcher knife, and a sharpener to go with it (yeah.. the SP sucks above.. I'm too tired to look up correct spelling). My parents gave it to us when we got married and it's been fine since.

whats funny, is the knives i have now, are those $30-40 SET of knives you see on tv late at night...the chef tony/miracle blade knives...over 4 years that ive had/been using them, and still sharp as hell. id just like to get a ceramic to have one. lol.

but yes, im the cook at my house...my g/f can cook if a) its out of a box or b) i give her directions...but even sometimes, she will not follow them correctly and something goes wrong.

but yes, im the cook at my house...my g/f can cook if a) its out of a box or b) i give her directions...but even sometimes, she will not follow them correctly and something goes wrong.

Ding.. welcome to my house. She starts it.. then I take over cause she's fucking it up too much lol. Then she gets pissed cause I took over and she says I don't let her finish. If I let her finish cooking, it would be overcooked to hell. No big deal though. I enjoy it.

Ding.. welcome to my house. She starts it.. then I take over cause she's fucking it up too much lol. Then she gets pissed cause I took over and she says I don't let her finish. If I let her finish cooking, it would be overcooked to hell. No big deal though. I enjoy it.

example - 2 nights ago, i tell her to make some stew. now last time, she put noodles in like 2 hours before it was ready, and it was a big mushball.

so i tell her to cook meat/veggies/water/buillon cubes in crock pot, then cook egg noodles seperate, and add when i get home. she cooks the noodles, then takes them out and DRAINS them. once again, resulting in a big stew of mushy noodles. tried to salvage it and add some more water/buillon cubes, but the noodles were still super mushy. bleh.

example - 2 nights ago, i tell her to make some stew. now last time, she put noodles in like 2 hours before it was ready, and it was a big mushball.

so i tell her to cook meat/veggies/water/buillon cubes in crock pot, then cook egg noodles seperate, and add when i get home. she cooks the noodles, then takes them out and DRAINS them. once again, resulting in a big stew of mushy noodles. tried to salvage it and add some more water/buillon cubes, but the noodles were still super mushy. bleh.

You have to drain the noodles, the step she missed is rinsing them in cold water to stop the starches from clinging to each other.