Spotted: Tripleskate

TTQ B4U

ahhh i didnt know it was a 6 speed never mind.

an wait... your redlines at 6700 yet you shift at 5800..????? an what do you mean teh power goes flat? doo tell there sir

lol, it falls on its face, big time. They have great pull until randomly it just has no more, requiring an upshift. Pretty shocking the first few times it happens. It feels like it throws an anchor.

My GTI has less steam the last 500rpms or so as well, but it has been proven time and time again that it is beneficial to go to redline on the GTI. Not the case on the MS3.

"The throttle plate thing is a lack of efficiency at high RPMs, so Mazda tuned it to start closing. Cobb claims to have ''full control" over it even though you feel much more at the lower end of the spectrum."

ahh after a quick search on google.. dammm that sucksss do you know if the tuners can really tune that out?

so the compoputer starts closing the throttle after5500 damm suckyness

lol, it falls on its face, big time. They have great pull until randomly it just has no more, requiring an upshift. Pretty shocking the first few times it happens. It feels like it throws an anchor.

it's the ECM....it has to limit the KO4 due to rpms it spins at. anything higher than 5800 on the MS3 generates way too much heat. not sure how your KO3 responds.

At the track and in many of the trade-mags, you'll see it run 14.1-14.3 1320's...but everyone who shifts early gets way better times. With just a few mods, it's easy to run 13.7's. I've seen a few run 13.6's even. Key is a good take off and shifts.

it's the ECM....it has to limit the KO4 due to rpms it spins at. anything higher than 5800 on the MS3 generates way too much heat. not sure how your KO3 responds.

At the track and in many of the trade-mags, you'll see it run 14.1-14.3 1320's...but everyone who shifts early gets way better times. With just a few mods, it's easy to run 13.7's. I've seen a few run 13.6's even. Key is a good take off and shifts.

A few questions: You mention that better times are doable by short shifting, however you mention 13.7's as a time with some light mods..... What are stock ms3s getting that short shift? I hear that the intake alone can be responsible for taking the ms3 from mag times to high 13s, is that what you are referring to?

To clarify the turbo part, are you saying that the reason behind it is that the turbo is spinning too fast, which creates too much heat in the turbo? so the ecu compensates by cutting power to prevent the turbo from overheating?

The GTI does not do that in either K03 trim (regular GTI in europe and all us gtis') or K04 trim (Edition 30/pirelli edition etc in Europe). The K04 cars also do not have any power fall off problems in europe or the converted us cars. A stage 2 (chip and downpipe) K03 GTI usually gets from mid 13's to low 14's.

hmm well one day im sure we will cross paths ;)

deal ;)

CP-E Standback w/ a little bit of mapping, I've heard will unlock the ECM to give you the extra revs.

way too many of them cook the seals and look like a Mr. Fogger. No thanks. Others up the boost a few lbs and find out the hard way that rods are the weak point. Smoke and BOOM!....not for me.

A few questions: You mention that better times are doable by short shifting, however you mention 13.7's as a time with some light mods..... What are stock ms3s getting that short shift

I hear that the intake alone can be responsible for taking the ms3 from mag times to high 13s, is that what you are referring to?

Stock ones can do high 13's. Guys on the Mazda boards are more readily dipping into the 13's stock. Add in an intake and a simple cat back and guys are picking up quite a bit. I know that after I put on the intake alone, the car transformed. Reminded me of the change I felt on my L67 GTP when I added an intake and smaller supercharger pulley.

To clarify the turbo part, are you saying that the reason behind it is that the turbo is spinning too fast, which creates too much heat in the turbo? so the ecu compensates by cutting power to prevent the turbo from overheating?

Yes. I'm no turbo expert but have a bookmark to the the KO4 white paper explaining it and the correlation to the MS3 ECU. Trying to find it now. The short of it was that the computer limits the cars capabilities because the turbo would essentially overheat and fail. I know the board has quite a few that debate the seals are defective, but IMO, they are cooking them. Some are using the wrong oil and damaging them or they are removing the limiter on the rev control and cooking them.

The GTI does not do that in either K03 trim (regular GTI in europe and all us gtis') or K04 trim (Edition 30/pirelli edition etc in Europe). The K04 cars also do not have any power fall off problems in europe or the converted us cars. A stage 2 (ship and downpipe) K03 GTI usually gets from mid 13's to low 14's.

Again, I'm no expert, but based on what I read in the white paper, it is likely the KO4 and ECU design Mazda uses. Perhaps it's different. I doubt it's an off the shelf KO4. Each manufacturer likely has different specs to match their cars. I know in the game of electronics and OEM parts it's that way.

way too many of them cook the seals and look like a Mr. Fogger. No thanks. Others up the boost a few lbs and find out the hard way that rods are the weak point. Smoke and BOOM!....not for me.

Stock ones can do high 13's. Guys on the Mazda boards are more readily dipping into the 13's stock. Add in an intake and a simple cat back and guys are picking up quite a bit. I know that after I put on the intake alone, the car transformed. Reminded me of the change I felt on my L67 GTP when I added an intake and smaller supercharger pulley.

Yes. I'm no turbo expert but have a bookmark to the the KO4 white paper explaining it and the correlation to the MS3 ECU. Trying to find it now. The short of it was that the computer limits the cars capabilities because the turbo would essentially overheat and fail. I know the board has quite a few that debate the seals are defective, but IMO, they are cooking them. Some are using the wrong oil and damaging them or they are removing the limiter on the rev control and cooking them.

Again, I'm no expert, but based on what I read in the white paper, it is likely the KO4 and ECU design Mazda uses. Perhaps it's different. I doubt it's an off the shelf KO4. Each manufacturer likely has different specs to match their cars. I know in the game of electronics and OEM parts it's that way.

I don't know a whole lot about tuning/ecus and turbo's either, thats why I wanted to know what the deal was with the MS3.

I appreciate the info and answers.

I have heard quite a few stories about the different ways you can cook a MS3, so I def think you are taking the right road with regards to mods.

I have heard quite a few stories about the different ways you can cook a MS3, so I def think you are taking the right road with regards to mods.

I think so too. She runs pretty rich, but better safe than sorry. I'm sure I could squeak more out of her, but for the 2-3 times I'd actually squeaze every once out of her to make it worth it wouldn't equal the risk of killing my Daily Driver.

If I want to go faster than high 13's I'll buy my toy. I have the money saved to do so, but am not about to drop cash on the real toy until times are better, more stable and my kids are a bit older. I have 58 more mortgage payments then I will consider my C6 or whatever we're on then :bangbang:

same thing happens with the srt4 turbos... they are so small they cant produce large psi #s for very long due to over heating cause the turbos so small it just cant produce the #;s so it struggles to do so. thats why i spike 22psi an as turbo starts gettin worked/heated it falls to 18 to redline.

I think so too. She runs pretty rich, but better safe than sorry. I'm sure I could squeak more out of her, but for the 2-3 times I'd actually squeaze every once out of her to make it worth it wouldn't equal the risk of killing my Daily Driver.

If I want to go faster than high 13's I'll buy my toy. I have the money saved to do so, but am not about to drop cash on the real toy until times are better, more stable and my kids are a bit older. I have 58 more mortgage payments then I will consider my C6 or whatever we're on then :bangbang:

Damn, only 5 more years and you'll have a paid off house. That is very impressive sir.

Hopefully you do something a little more original than the C6 though. haha