2005 Dodge Caravan - Transmission shimmy

zeitgeist57

Vehicle has around 120k miles on it...3.3L V6...torqueflite A604 4-speed auto that was replaced last year by no-name family auto shop in Cleveland. I got the van from my 'rents when they upgraded.

Apparently these transmissions are known for having problems with the shift solenoid/program, and unfortunately my van is looking to have the same problems. At around 30-40 mph around the city in light throttle use, the van has a powertrain shudder like it shifted down too soon and the engine is lugging. Now, I found this:

http://www.txchange.com/a604.htm

Are you f**king kidding me? Repeat this for 75 times????????? Can I just have a "performance" transmission tune, one that firms up the shift points?

Rob, PMd. Thanks.

My parents always took their cars to these guys, and they certainly cut corners and overcharged. For example, they charged my parents $2,400 for the rebuilt tranny in the van now, with no warranty and the shimmy still existed after the repair.

I'm definitely catching up on 120k miles worth of hard use and shoddy repair/maintenance work...however, free van in good shape is worth it to me!

Guest Removed
and does great work.

you would know...and yes he does..thats why i use him...shit dont seem to fail, and with his pricing... there may be cheaper out there, but i bet its not getting upgraded like this guy does them

Guest Removed
I'm definitely catching up on 120k miles worth of neglect and shoddy repair/maintenance work...

down shift it to 3rd with the OD off..see if it does it..may just be a tire or front end issue

and thats the sucky part about someone not taking care of something:(

Sounds like it may need a "quick learn". Any of the trans shops can do it, or anybody with trans software for their scan tool. It will re-learn all of the parameters and clean up the gear changes. If you think it's in the tq converter, you can hold the throttle steady at 40 or so and lightly step on the brake pedal, just enough to turn the brake lights on. That will drop it out of lock up. It that cures it, I'd start in the ignition if it hasn't been tuned up in awhile. When my wife's 99 did what your describing, I added a bottle of limited slip additive from the GM dealer. It cured it, but hers was over 45mph. The lining on the TCC clutch gets hard, and causes the shudder. The additive softens it slightly. These trannys were pretty good after 1999, but they still have problems like anything else.

I changed the fluid with ATF+4 from Advanced, along with a new ProKing filter/gasket kit a few weeks ago. When I changed the fluid, the magnet in the tranny pan was fuzzy with really fine particles. Not terrible, but a little discouraging to see. I am certain that this was the first fluid change since my 'rents had the tranny installed. It ran a little better. However, I'm certain the TCM is still off, as in "D" I can hear the engine rpm fall down like it downshifted and locked into 4th gear when I lift off the gas at less than 40mph.

When I'm cruising the mean streets of UA below 40mph, I usually have the shifter in "3" to eliminate 4th/lockup. It sometimes still shimmies. I need to do all tie rod ends (inner and outer) and still need to align it after doing the struts also, so this may be a factor.

Rob, I called your boy, and he's going to reflash the tranny for me. I appreciate the hookup, and will let you know what happens from here. :)

I've been pricing out steering racks, will get one soon as I already have the outer tie rods...installation/alignment to come shortly.