Land Rover Experts

CRed05

Disco's suck. My roommate had one back in the early 2000's (when they were the only other Land Rover SUV option aside from the Range Rover) and he had unbelievable trouble with the thing. I remember borrowing it one time and, with only a few years on it and less than 40k miles, the rear hatch handle crumbled in my hand when I went to open the back. It had literally rusted apart. Electrical system was junk, gas mileage was garbage.

Not worth it unless it is a 4th car.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of these people speak from no experience, but from what they have heard. I have owned about 7 land rovers (mostly range rovers) and am amazed at the quality, the ride and what I got for the price I have paid. On the newer 4.0 engines, make damn sure that the headgaskets aren't leaking. It is common that the headbolts back off and ruin the headgaskets. All though the parts aren't too expensive, unless you are doing the work yourself, things would start to get costly. Feel more than free to bring your car by my shop for me to check it out and no cost, and look at my Discovery II and Range Rover.

I did look for engine leaks and did not see any. But I will most likely take you up on your offer. I just need to see if I can work something out with the owner.

Well, landrovers are actually garbage... seriously, take heed.

Thats just not true.

My only experience with Land Rovers comes from dealing with them when they get wrecked, and I can't think of a marque that has a worse history for body parts availability. For $2k, it may not be as much of a concern for you, but you should be aware that should you have an accident with it that renders it repairable, but not drivable, 45-60 days in the shop waiting for major body panels is not uncommon. This really has more to do with parts ordering policies of the Land Rover dealership network than anything else though.

My only experience with Land Rovers comes from dealing with them when they get wrecked, and I can't think of a marque that has a worse history for body parts availability. For $2k, it may not be as much of a concern for you, but you should be aware that should you have an accident with it that renders it repairable, but not drivable, 45-60 days in the shop waiting for major body panels is not uncommon. This really has more to do with parts ordering policies of the Land Rover dealership network than anything else though.

Good to know. Thanks.

Hmmm, this sounds like a Land Rover a friend of mine took a look at last weekend. I know he said he wasn't going to touch that with a 10 foot pole. The guy was even was willing to take in trade his lifted 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had seen a lot of trail use and needs about $1k in parts to fix the shit that was wrong with it. I would stay away.

At $2K, you are going to get what you pay for when looking at a "luxury" SUV. I also say look at Jeeps. If you want something a little nicer, look at the Grand Cherokee's.

Unlikey now, You can go to pick an pull and see them in the lot. There's a blue one in there right now.

I did a 6k front end hit on one in 07 and had all the parts in 2 days.

I've decided against the original one I looked at. I found another one that appears to be in much better condition. But I think I've made my mind up that I do want one, I just need to find the right one.

Has anyone mentioned a JEEP?

-Marc

Chris,

Do you really need the size/storage of a truck/SUV ?

Why not an old Subie like an outback or such:

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2009/8/24/267/022/12812313697.267022986.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I have this as a daily in same color. Mine is sedan, though. Sometimes it would be nice to have a wagon, though. This thing is a tank and I highly recommend it.

I have this as a daily in same color. Mine is sedan, though. Sometimes it would be nice to have a wagon, though. This thing is a tank and I highly recommend it.

A sedan wouldnt be bad.

I did...so did anyone mention a jeep? Like..."It's a Jeep thing" or "if you can read this please flip me over?" Maybe even "trail rated?"

-Marc

Best 4X4XFar

Its real

It isn't, and I'll tell you why. The male lions are way too lazy to attempt something like that. Only the females would be stilt-hunting, that dude would be hanging out in the shade eating babies and licking his balls.

It isn't, and I'll tell you why. The male lions are way too lazy to attempt something like that. Only the females would be stilt-hunting, that dude would be hanging out in the shade eating babies and licking his balls.

Your mom licks my balls