My petition against the Monica Durban Law.

Cordell

Might I suggest going the traditional route with a petition? Also, please make sure that anything being presented to our senators uses semi-proper grammar. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I wouldn't give some of these things a second look if I were in their position.

I was wondering this too. Looks more like a Blog than a real petition. But I say back it up with the real deal signatures with names.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering this too. Looks more like a Blog than a real petition. But I say back it up with the real deal signatures with names.

The more I read about the whole deal, a petition isn't going to do near as much good as writing your senator. Everyone really needs to write your senator if you haven't already done so. I'm not going to waste my time on a real petition, if I go talk to people I'm going to have them write a note to their senator as this will do the most good.

Lots of great info on the SEMA Action Network website.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/content/SEMASANcom/HomePage

anyone have the information on how to get ahold of the senators?

Here you must have missed it in teh other thread.

It sounds as though most of us in this thread have strong views on the issue.

Has anyone made his views known to his State Senator?

It's not too late to do this. I've contacted mine, expressed my objections, and asked that he look carefully at the bill. I've also asked that other viewpoints be considered in the debate. Since my State Senator (Bill Harris) is also President of the Senate, my hope is that he might have some control in keeping this bill from just sliding right through the Senate and into law.

Here's how you find your State Senator's contact info:

http://www.ohiosenate.gov/

They all have email, if you prefer to contact them that way.

Here's some advice on writing a state legislator:

http://www.nchomebirth.com/HTwriteRepresentative.html

Also, CR can draft a petition expressing our common objections, and members can sign electronically. We could forward that to our State Senators.

Perhaps I'm too optimistic that a bill with this much perceived support from the public can be modified/defeated, but it seems to me that the best we can do is to make a case that the bill be closely examined. If debate is vigorous enough, then I think that the Draconian elements will be exposed for what they are.

In case you want to read the bill

Bill 191

BILL SUMMARY

· Modifies the penalty for the offense of "street racing" by requiring the immobilization and impoundment of the license plates of or the criminal forfeiture of the vehicle involved in the offense, and imposing increased penalties for street racing involving nitrous oxide, involving harm to persons and property, and in which the offender has been previously convicted of or pleaded guilty to street racing or other specified offenses.

· Creates the offense of street racing manslaughter, a felony of the second degree.

· Adds the offense of street racing or a substantially equivalent municipal ordinance to the list of offenses concerning which law enforcement authorities have the authority to arrest and detain until a warrant can be obtained when there is reasonable cause to believe the offense occurred and the arrested person committed the offense.

· Requires every retailer who sells nitrous oxide to conspicuously post a sign that contains a warning regarding the illegality of street racing and the fact that using nitrous oxide during a street race will result in increased penalties.

· Requires the Department of Public Safety to make the above mentioned sign available at no charge on its internet web site.

· Expands the definition of "OVI violation" and "equivalent offense" for use in specified sections of the Revised Code.