Man shoots Bull Elk while hunting for white tail. OHIO Don't have elk.

CRAWDAD

Looks WAAAAAAAAY more like a muley to me, whaddya think Austin? Muley?

Definitely looks like a hybrid of some sort. It definitely DOES NOT look like a whitetail, that's for sure. I does appear to have a touch of muley in it, and the overall size is a bit small for an elk. It also appears to be lacking the dark brown fur on the neck that elk typically have.

I'm no elk expert, though.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely looks like a hybrid of some sort. It definitely DOES NOT look like a whitetail, that's for sure. I does appear to have a touch of muley in it, and the overall size is a bit small for an elk. It also appears to be lacking the dark brown fur on the neck that elk typically have.

I'm no elk expert, though.

I'd love to see a pic of the rear of it to see if it has a rump patch or not.

BTW, Austin, word of warning... check this out, there are pics like this from all over Ohio coming in. Check the datestamp.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/fatkid020/MDGC0805.jpg

BTW, Austin, word of warning... check this out, there are pics like this from all over Ohio coming in. Check the datestamp.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/fatkid020/MDGC0805.jpg

Would you mount that? I think is kinda looks a lil funny.

Probably lost it in a fight over a piece of ass!

The consensus on ArcheryTalk is that it's a red stag. I'm definitely no red stag expert.

A trail cam pic of said (now dead) critter:

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww53/dboyd447/CDY_0008.jpg

Red stag for comparison:

http://murrayoutdooradventures.com/RedStag.jpg

Would you mount that? I think is kinda looks a lil funny.

Probably lost it in a fight over a piece of ass!

Nah, there is talk going around that shedding has started really early this year on healthy bucks.

Due to the lack of acorns?

Dunno, I haven't looked into it too much, but guys are finding lots of fresh sheds on their property.

So anyone hunting in Muzzleloader or bonus gun, and even archery hunters, be careful as to what you are shooting at, esp if you have already taken a buck this year.

You mean one who shoots w/o knowing what he is shooting at?

:wtf:

KillJoy

Up by my Dad in Minnesota, there is a dairy farmer that loses cows every year. He spray painted COW in blaze orange, on the side of all his cows.

Up by my Dad in Minnesota, there is a dairy farmer that loses cows every year. He spray painted COW in blaze orange, on the side of all his cows.

We have blaze orange horse blankets

I'm no hunter, but after reading the comments I've come to this conclusion.... If he couldn't identify it, then he shouldn't have shot. (It doesn’t take an expert hunter to know that, just common sense). If he did know it was an elk and shot it anyway then shame on him. If he thought it was a deer upon shooting then it’s just a “lucky”/ bad mistake. Either way I guess nice shot.

Well, if you were hunting with a rifle at 100 yards you are going to have a scope. You would obviously be able to tell the size difference. Plus with a rifle and a scope at 100 yards you are going to take longer to set up your shot, making you realize that the Elk Bull does has a tan rump patch and is much larger than a Whitetail Buck.

You can't hit an animal that large with sights at that range?

If it's a Red Stag, then it's a young one. If it's an Elk, then it's tiny. In any case, at 100yds+, even I would mistake that for a White Tail unless I saw it from the rear.

Yeah in marysville paper it said that elk use to be in ohio till 1853 I think, but the game warden did say this was a baby bull elk barley over a year old.

#3 that guy is the type of hunter that I hate

Sorry, I don't shoot at things that I haven't 100% identified already.

agreed....it's pretty nerve racking sitting during gun season. I have a rule that I always follow and NEVER break. I NEVER walk into or out of the woods in low light. I either go in and come out when it's pitch black dark or I go in or come out in broad daylight. If you go by shooting times that would put you walking out right at dusk. I always just hang out a while until it gets completely dark before coming out and this guy here is one of the main reasons I do that.

Large, brown, antlered (wow, spell checker let that go :) ) animal in Ohio... what the fuck else was he supposed to assume it was besides a deer? A moo-cow? A jackalope?

you'd be surprised at the tricks your eyes will play on you in the woods. You'll see things that you think is one thing and after further examination it ends up being something else. Not to mention this fella doesn't sound like a spring chicken so there's no telling what shape his eyes are in. People definitely don't take enough precautions when hunting and if this guy is pulling the trigger on something he's not 100% what it is then he has no business being in the woods with a gun. That's another bonus to bow season...you have to be up close and personal before you shoot at something. That still doesn't keep people from making stupid ass decisions and killing someone but it cuts way down on it.

Dunno, I haven't looked into it too much, but guys are finding lots of fresh sheds on their property.

So anyone hunting in Muzzleloader or bonus gun, and even archery hunters, be careful as to what you are shooting at, esp if you have already taken a buck this year.

I would still think you're legal shooting a shed buck....the letter of the law states 3" of antler which they technically wouldn't have. I would think it's considered an anterless at that point.

The guy that shot this elk also brought in pics of his shoulder mount Thophy Buck 12pt. and the deer is larger w/ a bigger rack! sorry don't have pic of buck. .

I asked him about his TROPHY BUCK

12pt

dressed 280lbs.-this was weighed not estimated

scored 185-5/8th typical

6yrs ago

in OHIO big bucks & davey crocket or danial boones. or some shit.

he said that it had to score 145 or better for ohio

He did tell me that his Buck is larger than the elk (or red stag)!

and had to score 160 for the other one!