3m window insulation kits

evan9381

who's used these? is the tape in them worth a shit? i stopped by walmart tonight and picked up duck brand (like duck tape), and the double sided "sticky" tape was anything but. did not hold a 1/2oz piece of plastic up. and i made sure not to touch it to de-sticky it.

tried to hit up walmart and meijer for some thick double sided sticky tape, but they had nothing. the plastic seemed fine, just the tape sucked.

the tape sticks to the metal window surround (which is cold) just fine. its just the plastic sheet wont stick to the tape. its pissing me off

Try heating it up with a hair dryer..

I dunno. I gave up when it was too cold out on the metal windows I have out back and just decided to put it around the trim. Worked then.

That tape it comes with isnt worth shit, I double strip each side and (so there is two strips of tape next to each other on all sides) then use the hair dryer to get it really hot before I even peal the backing off then, it works good for me after that, I just stick it to the wood trim on the inside of my 100 year old windows and it sticks good after that.

If looks don't bother you (and if you can get to it), putting heavy plastic up around the window on the outside will help much more with keeping out cold air then putting the thin stuff on the inside. Doing both is the best way to go though, I've fought this fight with old apartment windows for years...

The house I just bought had this same problem... the tape I bought cost about $8000, and came in the form of 17 new windows ;)

The big problem with aluminum windows is that aluminum conducts heat like nobody's business. So, you can seal the thing to kingdom come, but it is still acting like a radiator of coldness into your room.

The house I just bought had this same problem... the tape I bought cost about $8000, and came in the form of 17 new windows ;)

The big problem with aluminum windows is that aluminum conducts heat like nobody's business. So, you can seal the thing to kingdom come, but it is still acting like a radiator of coldness into your room.

yeah, im waiting until i get a chunk of change set aside. luckily for me, ive only got like 8 windows in my whole house, so it wont be too bad.

I have problems with that stuff. Go buy normal double sided tape. I as well bought a few sheets of Styrofoam insulation the blue kind and cut it to fit inside the window inside the blinds or drapes. Then I put up the plastic wrap. If I don't use the Styrofoam the plastic blows off the window because of the constant draft.

Good luck man I know how you feel!

i wish i could do 2 strips side by side, but i dont have enough room on the sides, where i need it most. and i can only do 3 sides of the window, because theres alarm sensors on one side of each window.

ive got the 2 downstairs windows done and the big one in my front room. i dont feel the draft sitting on my couch now.

... I as well bought a few sheets of Styrofoam insulation the blue kind and cut it to fit inside the window inside the blinds or drapes.

I use thay insulation in the windows I dont need to see out of, 3 of the downstairs ones (my downstairs is my garage, the living area is above it) and the bathroom window. My neighbor uses it in all his windows every night and takes it out during the day, hes got even older/worse windows that me.

I use thay insulation in the windows I dont need to see out of, 3 of the downstairs ones (my downstairs is my garage, the living area is above it) and the bathroom window. My neighbor uses it in all his windows every night and takes it out during the day, hes got even older/worse windows that me.

Yeah it does wonders to stop drafts. If I put my hand close to one of my windows with nothing on it I feel a draft. With the Styrofoam it stops it almost completely. That is the huge reason why I need new windows. 17 windows in a 2 bed room house is outrageous but it is what I got. That and the windows crank open so there is no way to mount a window a/c unit. :(