97 cadillac deville with northstar wont start

armin922

ok so the car wont start. Thought it was the battery but my gf called AAA and they came and tried to jump it and also tested the battery and said it was good. So he said it was probably the starter. The car doesnt crank at all. The thing is that she lives in NC right now. A friend of hers which is a mechanic says that he did some research on it bc he was gonna try to fix it and said that the starter is in the top half of the motor? Is this true? Shes afraid to take it in to the shop because they will charge her an a** load for it. Any suggestions? The car has roughly 157k miles on it

Guest Removed

that or the motor is locked up..

last one i had that had a starter issue(from another shop) the motor was locked up..lol

and yeah, the starter is on top of the engine, under the intake.

but i have seen issue's with the power wires going to the starter being a issue.

but make sure the motor turns over

step 1 remove belt and attempt to start engine

step 2 if engine fails to turn use a socket and attempt to turn engine by hand

step 3a if engine turns by hand look into the starter/battery/wiring for a problem

step 3b if engine does not turn by hand its siezed and your fucked

step 1 remove belt and attempt to start engine

step 2 if engine fails to turn use a socket and attempt to turn engine by hand

step 3a if engine turns by hand look into the starter/battery/wiring for a problem

step 3b if engine does not turn by hand its siezed and your fucked

What he said, the starter isn't that hard to do, just takes a little longer. It's not like the intake has coolant in it, just unbolt it and flip it out of the way.

• 3 weeks later...
so the guy that was supposed to check it out never came through for her so she took it to the shop. 40 bucks to do a charge test. Found out that the terminals had corrosion on them that prevented it from starting. So they charged her 40 for that and to clean it off and put a new battery tie down bracket on and labor they charged her another 40. They raped her. 90 out the door for corrosion on the terminal. Too bad i wasnt down in NC where shes at otherwise she wouldnt of had to pay a cent. But thanks alot for all your help.