any sugestions on how to clean up a rusty bore?

Mark1647545493

I was given a Mosin Nagant that has a rusty bore. The rifling is still there the worst part is the groove. I've hit it with a wire bore brush until the rust powder stopped falling out but it still looks like shit. I've read that using a .22 caliber bore brush with some oiled up steel wool wrapped around it will do the trick but I don't want to do anything like that until I know FOR SURE it's not going to do more damage than good.

yea I know these things can be bought for $80 all day long, and it would be easier to just buy a new one, but I told the owner of the gun I would do my best to clean this one up....

You want to use Sweets 7.62 (be careful, it has an awful smell http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=643582) and then follow up with some Clenzoil. Locally you can get the Clenzoil at River's Edge and I know BWSC used to have Sweets. If these don't work, then you're pretty much out of luck unless you want to machine it. Clenzoil is a special treatment that penetrates, protects and cleans.

Good luck... Some of those are well beyond the time/money involved to save. Someone who shot it had no idea how to clean the corrosive ammo out they shot through it.

Those things are usually overbuilt, so risk of damage per firing is usually low. I am not making a claim that it is safe to shoot--I haven't looked at it personally. However, if it doesn't clean up well it just won't be as accurate as it should be.

Clenzoil will cost you about $14 for a bottle and I believe Sweets is about $17. It might be more or less depending where you buy. Yeah, you can try Hoppes, etc but I can tell you NOTHING will be it clean like the combo I mentioned unless you tank it. A gun smith would probably charge about $35 for a simple clean and since it's corroded already, add money to that figure. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you decide how far you want to go. Sometimes projects can be fun and a good learning experience.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm definitely going to try the 7.62 and the Clenzoil...

Just for kicks I dug my 2 Nagants out that I bought from Fin, Feather and Fur a few years ago. These guns was still in the boxes I bought them in and haven't been out since I brought them home. Both of these guns bores look almost as bad as the gun I'm trying to clean up. Didn't the Russians get issued cleaning kits with these things?!?!?!

oh well. They were only $80 each and are a cool piece of history.