Help me build a computer

wagner

I want a new desktop PC and really want to get as much as possible for my money.

Here is what I am looking for as far as limits and what I need.

-Keep it around $500 to $600

-It does not need to be a gaming PC

-It will be used to edit pictures, do website work, and maybe video as well

-I don't need an OS on it since I can get a student version so it does not to need to be in the price.

I was looking at maybe getting the stuff from newegg.

So computer guys lets see what you can come up with :)

Core I7 or don't build one at all

i think it would be overkill for him go with a nice lga775 dual core chip and a nice board well below that price and very functional and no need to upgrade for a while but with the correct board options it will make upgrading easy

How soon are you looking to purchase it?

Something I might do for Christmas.

I really don't want to do a Dell since I think I could get more for my money if I built it myself. It has been so long since I did anything like this I have no idea what to get and what not to get.

Examples of stuff you guys are talking about would be outstanding as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2%2050001157%2040000343%201051707842&name=LGA%20775

I bet they have some deals on combo processor/mobo buys too. After that, pick yourself out a decent value graphics card, the best way is to do a little searching on newegg and read the reveiws. As far as memory, hdd's, and cases go, get those from Micro Center. They have all that dirt cheap, even cheaper than newegg.

Thank you for the feedback but I don't want to turn this into a computer version of ford vs chevy or import vs domestic.

Here is what I would like please, take a look at what I posted at the top in my wish list. Then post your recomendations and where to get them. What I want to do is get an idea of what is out there, what it will cost, and where to get it. Then if I get the $$$ or I might just e-mail the links to my mom and tell her this is what I want order it.

Add in a case and a power supply for a complete PC.

I'm going to say this in big red letters because no one has said this in the thread yet. It is a VERY important detail.

Do not buy a cheap power supply. Do not use any power supply that comes with a case. If you do, you will slowly, or in some cases quickly, kill your entire system.

I've never had this happen to one of my builds, but I've seen in 2-3 times. I was helping diagnosing my friends computer when it was having troubles. Power supply started shooting out smoke (diagnosis, found!) The fan in the power supply seized at only 3 months old, the PS overheated, and nearly caught fire.

I'm going to say this in big red letters because no one has said this in the thread yet. It is a VERY important detail.

Do not buy a cheap power supply. Do not use any power supply that comes with a case. If you do, you will slowly, or in some cases quickly, kill your entire system.

I've never had this happen to one of my builds, but I've seen in 2-3 times. I was helping diagnosing my friends computer when it was having troubles. Power supply started shooting out smoke (diagnosis, found!) The fan in the power supply seized at only 3 months old, the PS overheated, and nearly caught fire.

troof

build looks good not a fan of foxconn but then again had a board a while back so things could have changed, always been a big fan of asus or gigabyte

if your looking for a good power supply do a PC power and cooling, Single rail, tons of power and above all quiet. I will never run another powersupply unless its a pc power and cooling.

along with jones and others have said, I5 is the way to go.

i think it would be overkill for him go with a nice lga775 dual core chip and a nice board well below that price and very functional and no need to upgrade for a while but with the correct board options it will make upgrading easy

I built one with a 2.85GHz core duo a few months ago and it was about $500. I usually have an online game running, photoshop CS3, several mozilla windows, bunch of other crap like calculators, and chat windows, Canon's photo review software, and Adobe Lightroom running and I don't think the computer can tell.

Here are some i7 computer builds.

I can't hotlink the cheapest system but if you go to the link below you can eyeball the prices real easy. ascendtech.us is a good website I have ordered from them a lot. If you buy from them they let you customize your parts if you want better things. I highly suggest you at minimum get a bigger power supply. At least 650 if not 750watt.

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/computer_systems_no_os/core_i7

Here are some i7 computer builds.

I can't hotlink the cheapest system but if you go to the link below you can eyeball the prices real easy. ascendtech.us is a good website I have ordered from them a lot. If you buy from them they let you customize your parts if you want better things. I highly suggest you at minimum get a bigger power supply. At least 650 if not 750watt.

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/computer_systems_no_os/core_i7

650 or 750 is WAY overkill if a quality powersupply is used. I have a 500watt running 4 harddrives, 2 optical drives, a Q6600, and a 4870. I've never had a problem, even with all 4 cores and the vid card peaked out at 100% while running some neat MD5 cracking tools.

Go to microcenter. If you find it cheaper on NewEgg, bring the print out. Mircocenter will price match it. But the price on processors is always cheaper at microcenter and Mobos always cheaper on NewEgg.. usually. Memory/video card it is hit and miss. Sometimes microcenter will price match.. and give you the rebate that comes with purchasing the product first. Here is what i would build..

Core i7 920 is definitly the way to go with current prices.

I just love the new socket 1337 processors.

Core i7 920 $199.99

500GB SATA HD $52.00

OCZ 3x2GB DDR31600 119.99

ECS MOBO 168.99

OCZ 600W power supply 40.99

another 100 for power case and a Graphics card.. and you have an awsome computer..

Edited by 1fastSTI