Remington 700 sps thoughts

88lx5oh

i was looking at rifles today... i have been interested in a nice long range bolt action, and the Remington 700 sps chambered in .223 caught my eye. they have a nice combo setup at Dicks for a decent price.

whats everyones take on this rifle?

and is .223 the ideal caliber to have for this rifle.

i really wont do much hunting with it, maybe some varmit, but more of just a fun gun to shoot some distance with.

I have a 700p which is almost the same gun. .308 is much better for a beginner getting into long range that doesn't want to drop a lot of money. The 700 is very good for a box stock gun but as with everything, to get ultra competitive (if that's your goal) you will sink some money into custom work. Many people spend more than the price of the rifle on the glass that goes on top so keep that in mind as you get into this.

i was looking at rifles today... i have been interested in a nice long range bolt action, and the Remington 700 sps chambered in .223 caught my eye. they have a nice combo setup at Dicks for a decent price.

whats everyones take on this rifle?

and is .223 the ideal caliber to have for this rifle.

i really wont do much hunting with it, maybe some varmit, but more of just a fun gun to shoot some distance with.

I have a remington 700 in .308 if you wanna go shoot sometime and check it out. Its a blast for long range shooting.

I have one in 22-250, out of the box the gun shoots good. I bought mine at Dicks (cheaper than Vance's). They are pretty nice rifles, only issue with the SPS is the barrel is not free floating. But thats not a huge issue. My opinion is the 22-250 will be a little better suited for varmint hunting.

.223 is good for light varmit when using near match grade/60-70gr, it will still punch through 1/4 steel @ 800M but you'll have lots of drop and most likely max out your optic's elevation.

My .02 is look for .308, it hits hard, cheap, and isn't blown around as easy as .223. You are going to be spending the majority of your funds on your optic, which pays off in the long run if you get a quality Nightforce or Leupold. Limitations when it comes to long rage accuracy is often skill over equpiement.

I have a 700p which is almost the same gun. .308 is much better for a beginner getting into long range that doesn't want to drop a lot of money. The 700 is very good for a box stock gun but as with everything, to get ultra competitive (if that's your goal) you will sink some money into custom work. Many people spend more than the price of the rifle on the glass that goes on top so keep that in mind as you get into this.

Just wanted to reinforce this :)