Factory Five GTM

Richard Cranium

Factory Five FTMFW.

If there is ever a car (or three) that has tempted me to ditch the Corvette, it's a Mark III 65' Cobra, the new '33 Hot Rod, or the new GTM. I give them props for offering a transmission option with the GTM kit as well...that was definitely the most difficult part to source as the Porsche G50 trannies were getting as rare as hens' teeth.

Edited by zeitgeist57

Yes, i can get u in contact with a guy who has built a few that he took to SEMA.

If those are the cars in the Factory Five video those are amazing cars. I'm hoping there is someone in central Ohio that has one, or at least in Ohio where I can travel to see one. I've been thinking about it for several months, and I have the guys at school on board to help me with the assembly and body work. I can order the kit at any time, so I figure the unknown factor right now is the donor car. So I'll find the donor first, then order the kit. If I never find an acceptable donor car then at least I won't have the kit sitting around collecting dust. Right now this is all theory until I make the final decision to do this or not. My last step in the decision process is to see one, at least sit in it to find out how it feels and talk to the owner about the build process and their satisfaction with the kits (not to mention any advice they have about the process).

Takes about 60-80 grand to build.

Depends on how you build it ... sky is the limit of course. I figure I can build one for less than 40k if I'm careful with the money and get a discount or two.

20k for the kit, less if I can take advantage of a sale

5 - 10k for a C5 donor, more if it's a Z06

5k for the transaxle

5k for body work/paint

If I find a decent donor I can make back some of it selling the parts I don't need, tranny, body, frame, interior, hud, exhaust.

Depends on the options afterward as to whether I break 40k, like twin turbos, etc...

Depends on how you build it ... sky is the limit of course. I figure I can build one for less than 40k if I'm careful with the money and get a discount or two.

20k for the kit, less if I can take advantage of a sale

5 - 10k for a C5 donor, more if it's a Z06

5k for the transaxle

5k for body work/paint

If I find a decent donor I can make back some of it selling the parts I don't need, tranny, body, frame, interior, hud, exhaust.

Depends on the options afterward as to whether I break 40k, like twin turbos, etc...

I don't want to rain on your parade man but join the forum and read into it a bit- I am just trying to make sure you know what you are getting into as I looked seriously into this project as well- if you read the following three threads you can see I posted in all of them....

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86980&page=3

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88172

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176941

And after trying to sell a highly modified mustang I found out you will be lucky to recover 1/2 of what you have in it if that and that is after taking a lot of mods off and selling them afterwards. Because of this and the fact that the c5 z06 is a bargain in comparison figuring in the fact that you can drive it to the grocery store and then to the track and actually hear yourself think without that god awful unburnt fuel popping exhaust design... and that if you were to dump that kind of money into a vette it would absolutely own those glorified go carts- I aborted the idea and bought one and have fallen in love with it more every time I have driven it.

Don't get me wrong they look awesome and factory five is very good at selling the dream- but there the devil is in the details... That said, if I were to win the lottery however I would do one tomorrow, as well as a modified porsche 996tt, syclone/typhoon, and if bored a locost or scratch built middy like the la bala and then build a garage to hold all of them with a lift in each bay, snap-on tools everywhere, and strippers to bring me beer and tools ;-) I guess I would have to buy something for the wife too but you get the picture...

Keep in mind that the price of the c6 z06 has come down a lot lately as well and one of those will outrun an Ls1 gtm easily.

EDITED: for rephrasing of same point.

Edited by hpfiend

^^^I agree with this guy....

My dad has been building a FF Cobra for the past 2 years, actually just got it running a few weeks ago and now just has to finish detail stuff, interior, etc...

Anyways, he's just done a basic 302 w/ hci, lt's, etc, but with all the money he's spent on everything else he probably could come close to buying a C6 ZO6, if not definitely bought a NICE C5 ZO6 and had money in the bank. And I doubt it'll out perform either of those, but he didn't buy it for that, he bought it for the looks and to cruise in, he liked the nostalgic feel/whatever/he's a car guy but not about all out power.

Me personally, bang for the buck, I would stay away from the FF cars. Just my .02