blow-in insulation...DIY?

evan9381

is this something i can rent the machine and buy some insulation and do this easily by myself with 1-2 people? ive always heard that if you have snow sticking to your roof, your attic isnt insulated enough. well, i have snow. HD has 40 sq/ft bags for <$10. i could probably do it all for a couple hundred bucks.

You have that backwards, if you don't have snow sticking to your roof, you aren't insulated enough. Why would you want all your heat escaping from the living space and into the attic enough to heat the roof to melt the snow?

Evan, I did my house in February, go to Home Depot, and if you buy I think at least 20 or 30 bags of the blow-in, you get the machine free for 24hrs, it's simple, the attachment you get with the machine takes forever I believe the diameter of the attachment is 1 1/2in, the tube from the machine is 3" so just take a 3" holesaw drill the hole in the center of each stud about 2" down from the ceiling. and for patching each hole, I had a scrap piece of Sheetrock laying around, cut a 3" hole in the scrap and made patch holes.

It works best if you have someone feeding the machine, my advice is to leave it outside cause it makes one hell f a mess.

PM me if you have anymore questions or want some help with it.

Evan, I did my house in February, go to Home Depot, and if you buy I think at least 20 or 30 bags of the blow-in, you get the machine free for 24hrs, it's simple, the attachment you get with the machine takes forever I believe the diameter of the attachment is 1 1/2in, the tube from the machine is 3" so just take a 3" holesaw drill the hole in the center of each stud about 2" down from the ceiling. and for patching each hole, I had a scrap piece of Sheetrock laying around, cut a 3" hole in the scrap and made patch holes.

It works best if you have someone feeding the machine, my advice is to leave it outside cause it makes one hell f a mess.

im not doing the walls. i was going to the ceiling, but i guess im ok. i dont know...for some reason i was thinking that the insulation would keep the heat in the house and keep the attic insulated and keep the snow off the roof. oh well. glad i found out this way then to go buy all the stuff, fill the attic, still have snow on my roof and scratch my head like.."wtf?"

live and learn

I'm planning on doing the walls in my house this spring/summer. How much did it cost you? I'll hit you up when the time is right to see if you wanna give us a hand.

I'm planning on doing the walls in my house this spring/summer. How much did it cost you? I'll hit you up when the time is right to see if you wanna give us a hand.

it was around 300$ give or take after I took a few extra bags back and with the uhaul rental to transport the machine and the insulation

The heat is being trapped by the insulation and not allowed to pass to get to the underside of the roof. Now you should still test the thickness of the insulation and the R value to insure you are getting the most optimized insulation. Chances are it may not be thick enough and products with better R values are have been created since your home was built. Unless a previous owner has upgraded or added addtional insulation.