Rear turbo - C4 Corvette?

zeitgeist57

http://www.raptorllc.net/LT1.htm

I love my Corvette, but have been wondering about the future. It really does everything I could want from a sports car. However, it would be great to be a little more unique and get some more power.

I contacted STS regarding a C4 Corvette kit, and they referred me to Raptor, LLC. I gotta say I'm impressed with the power and the kit they've engineered. Opinions???

If you are going to put a power adder on the car do a supercharger. A mild engine build with a procharger and that thing will feel like a new car.

I still think you should to a built carbed small block...

If hes looking for just mild set and reliable why would he do a carbed small block and go back into time?

You can make so much reliable power with the LT1, I can't see a good reason to do a swap like that.

Why not just put a roots blower on the car? Should be an easy swap on the Vette, and not seen to often on the LT1 cars.

+1

I'm sitting here looking at prices and the first thing that comes to mind is are you going to install this yourself? If not, $5500-$6000 seems steep on top of labor for installation. I would think that there may be a cheaper option for power that may end up with the same result. I personally like the LT1, I think it is a little under rated in the minds of many people, just like the KA24 motors are under rated in the Nissan crowd.

Props for sticking with the LT1, of course I may be wrong and if your crunch the numbers on a roots blower you may find that the prices are close to each other. I personally would rather have a supercharger in this application over a turbo....

Just depeds on his wants.

Clean install?

Money?

Tuning?

I mean if you want it just get it but people are pointing out the basics you have no answered in you initial posts.

If I were you a LS1 bolt ons and she will scream.

Rear mount turbo kits just dont tickle my fancy, So much piping and lines.

Last resort for myself would be a rear mount, however theres a guy from ciny running a stock ls7 RX7 with a rear mount trapping 140-150 ....

I have read up on what it would take to swap in an LSx into a C4 Corvette, and it's not easy or cheap. As far as I've seen, there is no real kit, most parts need some sort of modification, and the biggest problem is that the ZF 6-speed doesn't mate up with the block without an adapter or spacer. I know $5-6k sounds like a lot, but for bolt-on 125hp bump in power without a lot of additional modifications to the car sounds good to me.

407WHEEL hp...stock is 240-260. Any more power and I'll need extensive modification of the drivetrain (which I don't want to do).

Am I missing something here?

If hes looking for just mild set and reliable why would he do a carbed small block and go back into time?

Ask him how the ignition is on these motors. I had an LT1 car and for the $$ and my goals we found it was better to put a built carbed small block in it.

LT1's are not bad motors, just have some bad flaws and they are no where near an LS1.

If the price doesn't bother you I say go for it. Rear mount turbo’s are defiantly different and make some decent power. I know a guy that has one on his Grand Prix. The car made something like 325whp and was running 12.8's. All he had done was some minor work to the valvetrain (rocker arms) and the turbo. Non inner-cooled too.

why not just get some head work done and a mild cam etc etc..

use the money to make some more power might not be 400+ to the wheels but you can get around 350 and ahve a strong motor then add some power adders down the orad if you feel you still want to.. It would be a lot less work etc still need to tune it somehow but the motor will be stronger than it is now and make more power

I like it! Kind of expensive but the kit looks quality using the existing hangers! If I could figure out how to hook it I would add a STS kit like that to my c5z someday.

My LS6 only makes 340-360 to the rear wheels and it would take headers/high flow cats and cold air/tune to get to 400 which is about another 2-3 grand if I do the install work myself. If you were to start with an LS1 you would probably have to add heads, cam, and intake if before 01 in addition to headers/cold air tune and the swap expenses and find one in good shape in a jy.

My concern is that the LT1 in my firebird at least was a very high compression engine 10.4:1 if I remember correctly so without some sort of water injection/nitrous/intercooling I would be hesitant to run 9 lbs and definitely no more. What will 5-7 psi get you?

I'd ask this on corvetteforum and see if you can't find someone who already has been down this road.

On the LSX swap - corvette fever or Vette mag (can't remember) is putting together a kit under their C4orce line to do it.

I like it! Kind of expensive but the kit looks quality using the existing hangers! If I could figure out how to hook it I would add a STS kit like that to my c5z someday.

i have seen an STS kit on a C5. looks like alot of work to install. it runs the returns on each side over the rear wheels through the rockers and to the TB.

if you keep an eye out you can get used headers for our car for cheep. i got LPE stainless ones with an X-pipe for $300. they had a crack in them where the bracket is on the torque tube.

clay, have you looked into the LT4 hot cam, heads and intake yet?

I have, AJ. It's definitely the "cheaper" way for more power, sounds bada$$, and still very streetable. There are a lot of vids on YouTube that feature LT1 Vettes with hot cam kits. However, the heads are the expensive part of the kit. Cam/rockers are very doable.

IMO, the LSx was developed for a big reason: GM was running into the stock limits of power and reliability out of the old small block. Without a lot of internal reworking, supercharging or turbocharging is needed to make moar powah out of the LT1.