Advice on Buying an English Bulldog

KruelHouse

Really quick:

My co-worker's dog just had a litter of English Bulldogs. He kept them with their champion parents for 8 weeks, and now they're eating solid food, dumping outside (sometimes), and ready to sell. They've had their shots, and have been de-wormed.

I'm interested in scooping one up, but am trying to gather as much info. as possible, not to mention I'd also be looking for a good vet in the Columbus area.

Any bulldog owners/vets out there who can give me some advice on things to prepare for, as well as a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother in law has one... paid around 400.00 bucks for it to start, then there's the yearly shots and stuff those can run around 150.00 a visit, the English Bulls are very prone to respiratory problems and are hard to train due to their stubborn nature. He has worked with the dog frequently, but still has problems with the dog tearing up things, chewing etc... as far as vets go what side of town do you live on???

I live in Short North. Dude want's a grand for the dog, which is close to what my friend in DC paid for his. As far as training is concerned, I would imagine that I'd have to consult professional help as this would be my first dog, and I'm already factoring that cost into the "doggy spreadsheet", along with other items as I come up with them.

I live in Short North. Dude want's a grand for the dog, which is close to what my friend in DC paid for his. As far as training is concerned, I would imagine that I'd have to consult professional help as this would be my first dog, and I'm already factoring that cost into the "doggy spreadsheet", along with other items as I come up with them.

they have canine training program thru petsmart... also I know of a couple dog training publications that might help you.... such as the Dog Whisperer series, and I think Cesar Milan published a few books recently... I'd check them out too...

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the Dog Whisperer series (show anyway... Haven't read any of the books yet). I looked into the PetSmart program 2yrs. ago when I was thinking about getting a pup. I will keep the vet office in mind if I decide to purchase. What about health insurance for pets. I've read a little about this... Do you think that it would be a waste of money? I've heard mixed reviews from dog owners.

this is my dog, very young pics of him and he is from a champion family...not an english bulldog but the price would probably be close....http://www.basquelaine.com/pages/anubis.htm

if you go to the home page you'll find info on the rest of the family and other litters. Also look at the application for getting a puppy. These are serious people and we were the only family to get a puppy for a pet. Anubis (my dog) got sick when he was a puppy and they paid for all of his medical treatment, etc. Make sure you get a contract if you are going to pay this much for a dog.

My girlfriend- Jonni- works at a great animal hospital in westerville. I really like the place compared to most vets ive been too and the last one she worked at. I actually trust the vets there. ha. Jonni is very knowledgeable about alot of breeds. If you want to talk to her about getting the dog let me know. She would be happy to help... Have you thought about rescuing one ?

I have a english bulldog (see avatar). I've had him for over 7 years. I got him as a gift from my ex-girlfriend. She paid $1600 for him. He was purchased online and shipped by plane from Oklahoma. He was picked up at cbus airport! :)

Anyway, he's a great dog...but the first year he was a stubborn/hyper pup. Up until October this past year...he was pretty healthy. Minor wrinkle problems on his face and an ear infection. This year he's had some stomach problems...but this is not specific to the breed. Expected life is 8-12 years. :(

If you really like the breed, I'd spend the extra money and go to a bulldog pet show. I saw some sweet pups here for about 2k. However, as long as it's AKC...you'll be fine. One of my best friends has a bulldog too...so I may be OR.net resident expert. PM me with more questions. You're welcome to stop over for a visit too.

:rant: Spending over 1k for a dog is outrageous! I cant stand how people try to make money off of selling dogs... especially when half the time they dont even know what they are doing. Its sad. Just too many damn dogs dying in shelters and then you have selfish asshole that are breeding them just to try and make money.:rant: Edited by yotaman88210

$1000, isn't a bad price for them. I've seen them go for less, and more.

My step sister has one, it has alot of health issues. She spends alot on vet visists, and bills.

Great dog though, a little stubborn at first. Great people friendly dog too.

Tomcat: Cool dog. Ironically, my college roommate and I had a Savannah Monitor named Anubis!

Yota: I've been thinking about dog rescue as well. As a matter of fact, the doggy fever re-surfaced after seeing a Shiba Inu a couple of years ago that I wanted to rescue, but I travelled too much for work to ever be able to take care of one.

Zorro: Thanks. I'm going to weigh the options some more this week, and if I decide to get one, then I may swing through to check out yours. Sorry to hear that the dog's having issues.

I just looked into buying a few weeks ago cause my gf wanted one until I told her she had to wash its face with wash cloth every day so its wrinkles would stay clean.

I'm with yota... I'm all about rescuing a dog before buying one from a breeder and def. not the pet store. Even if you want a specific breed and you can't find it at a local shelter you can always search the net for a breed specific rescue network.

I just looked into buying a few weeks ago cause my gf wanted one until I told her she had to wash its face with wash cloth every day so its wrinkles would stay clean.

I'm with yota... I'm all about rescuing a dog before buying one from a breeder and def. not the pet store. Even if you want a specific breed and you can't find it at a local shelter you can always search the net for a breed specific rescue network.

Quoted for nochknstrps wanting a damn chihuahua...I'm glad his gf won't go for that shit!!!!!!

Edited by McLovin

:rant: Spending over 1k for a dog is outrageous! I cant stand how people try to make money off of selling dogs... especially when half the time they dont even know what they are doing. Its sad. Just too many damn dogs dying in shelters and then you have selfish asshole that are breeding them just to try and make money.:rant:

I don't know how much money breeders make. For english bulldogs, their breed requires artificial insemination and c-sections...hence the expensive price.

I think spending 30% more for a ducati is outrageous!!! :) People like what they like...and if they can afford it...more power to them.

Zorro: Thanks. I'm going to weigh the options some more this week, and if I decide to get one, then I may swing through to check out yours. Sorry to hear that the dog's having issues.

Thanks. His demeanor hasn't changed. I'm just tired of cleaning up after him when he gets sick. Antibiotics cures him in a day...so it's not too bad.

PM me when you wanna stop over...

I actually want a blue great dane focker! I need the chiuahua to serve as my automatic vacuum in the kitchen and where ever I eat. The dane can't pick up every small piece of food I drop on the floor.

what animal are you going to get to remove the giant turds in your yard? Or the gallons of slobber that a great dane leaves everywhere?

Speaking as a dog breeder, there isn't a way to have ethics with breeding dogs, and make money. There are a ton of medical checks that are done annually, vet bills, certifications(OFA, thyroid, etc), plus feeding, etc., etc., etc.....

The only benefit is tax related. Treated like a business, there are a bunch of things that can be written off.

The first thing I do when someone is interested in one of our dogs, is to tell them why they don't want one, and remind the people that the cute little fuzzy puppy they see isn't going to stay that way, and will one day have the capability to eat their couch.