More BMV wtf moments...

AWW$HEEET

When I got my OH license, an old man came in to renew. He had to be assisted in the door and to the counter. He had to be helped when asked what his name and address were. And finally he had to be PROMPTED through the eye test.

It's a TEST! And as such, there is an option to FAIL it. I can't believe the BMV approved this guy's renewal.

As for other places to live, it's preference. I lived in eastern MA all my life, including Osterville on Cape Cod, and I like it better here. I'm sure some of you would love to move to Cape Cod. But, for me, when you factor in everything, this is the best place in the US.

Senior citizens, should NOT be aloud to drive. They are dangerous to everyone else but them selves on our roads.

When I got my OH license, an old man came in to renew. He had to be assisted in the door and to the counter. He had to be helped when asked what his name and address were. And finally he had to be PROMPTED through the eye test.

It's a TEST! And as such, there is an option to FAIL it. I can't believe the BMV approved this guy's renewal.

As for other places to live, it's preference. I lived in eastern MA all my life, including Osterville on Cape Cod, and I like it better here. I'm sure some of you would love to move to Cape Cod. But, for me, when you factor in everything, this is the best place in the US.

haha Was this back in Aug at the Hilliard DMV because I saw the same damn thing and was speechless.

Senior citizens, should NOT be aloud to drive. They are dangerous to everyone else but them selves on our roads.

Hmm. That's an interesting assertion you make there. But, instead of screening out the potentially dangerous drivers based exclusively on age, would you consider using driving skill, driving record, or even literacy (after all, some important traffic signs are written) as a fair test of denying drivers license renewals?

That way, for example, we wouldn't have to share "our roads" with dullards who don't know the difference between aloud and allowed. :p

You also might want to consider just how many miles of "our roads" have been paved by your lifetime tax contribution compared to those senior citizens' contributions. It doesn't buy them the right to drive with poor vision or poor judgment, but if they can demonstrate their visual acuity, reaction time and driving ability, I feel they have as least as much right to be on the road as some inexperienced kid texting every 30 seconds, or some intoxicated barely-legal adult careening home from the bar.

Tougher driving tests (including renewal tests) and a system of graduated driving privileges would make for safer roads, but most people support neither.

And stop picking on old people or I'll hit you with my walker. :gtfo:

1. They happen to be the only operation in Columbus that does not accept Debit/Credit. However, they have invested in a "Cashless ATM" which charges you $2.50 per transaction.

I thought only Lima had this problem? I was thinking these days with the kind of fines they love to charge, everyone is supposed to be carrying this much money any time they need to renew?

Hmm. That's an interesting assertion you make there. But, instead of screening out the potentially dangerous drivers based exclusively on age, would you consider using driving skill, driving record, or even literacy (after all, some important traffic signs are written) as a fair test of denying drivers license renewals?

That way, for example, we wouldn't have to share "our roads" with dullards who don't know the difference between aloud and allowed. :p

You also might want to consider just how many miles of "our roads" have been paved by your lifetime tax contribution compared to those senior citizens' contributions. It doesn't buy them the right to drive with poor vision or poor judgment, but if they can demonstrate their visual acuity, reaction time and driving ability, I feel they have as least as much right to be on the road as some inexperienced kid texting every 30 seconds, or some intoxicated barely-legal adult careening home from the bar.

Tougher driving tests (including renewal tests) and a system of graduated driving privileges would make for safer roads, but most people support neither.

And stop picking on old people or I'll hit you with my walker. :gtfo:

LoL my apologies Doc, :) I just think its funny passing by someone on the freeway breaking there back to just be able to see over the steering wheel, and not being able to even hear your horn being laid down at them for cutting you off hahah.

Doc I was thinking the same thing. There should be a manditory test for all people renewing their license. It could be one given every 5 or 10 years, but we should all take it. I would personally rather have my 83 year old grandma driving on the highway with me then a 16 year old kid in a civic si with bald tires (I teach those idiots). Grandma is predictable to a point and never speeds. So it takes 1 minute longer when I get stuck behind her, better then getting T-boned by a teenager Txting.

The BMV does not take credit, only cash or check.

The title office takes cash or credit, no check.

WTF?! So when I transferred my vehicles from NY to OH, I had to have a lot of cash or checks and credit for the same building. What?!

Too bad one does not get a discount with attitudes received!

This is something you should have reported to the main BMV. This agency would have been investigated. These subcontractors can lose their contract for doing this.

...And here is the link to the selection process. Its currently going on for 90 deputy registrar contracts.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/rfp.stm

BMV does not accept credit cards because the legislature hasn't passed a law allowing it. The independent contractors use a cashless ATM because its the only profitable way for them. Debit/Credit cards take a % of the transaction and they only make $3.50 per transaction. On a dealer/commercial fleet transaction, the DR makes $3.50 and the credit card fee would be $100 or more. They would lose money on every fleet transaction. There is allot that goes into the process. Not near as mindless as some think. The main focus is customer service, tempered by what the laws in place allow or restrict. Contrary to popular belief, BMV does not look for intentional ways to make life difficult. Everything they do is governed by state law, or administrative rule.

Edited by Zeppelin