Trap speed vs. ET

iluvfastcarz

Guest Removed
This doesn't really fall into the usual category of hooking harder and the trap speed going down. The guy couldn't go full throttle until somewhere in 2nd and that will most likely bring the trap speed down a little. The whole spinning equals higher trap speed thing makes me laugh. Here's an example, friend of mine ran on radials and went 12.20's @117 then put on some stickies and went 11.40's@121. If spinning picks up trap speed, then why was it opposite here? That's right, he actually got to use the first two gears and wasn't wasting them by spinning. He made multiple passes on radials and the results were always 2-4mph slower than when he would run good tires. The other side of the coin that "kind of" helps the other side of arguement is that when I would spin a little coming out I would get a better trap speed. This was because I was keeping the rpm's up and not bogging.

If someone can actually provide a response that involves actual data and a solid reasoning as to why spinning improves trap speed, then I'm all ears. If spinning improves trap speed then that would lead someone to believe that spinning down most of the track would provide a higher trap speed? Please enlighten me.

big power small tire cars go the other way. 18 degree sbc in a light ass nova on a 9" slick went 9.8's @156 with jimmy driving(came out hard and spun hard) but with perry driving the damn thing went 9.16 @146 (cam out way softer). Big power off the line means with more spin can give a car that rolling spring forward down the track(talking out my ass here at 3 am). I seen it in my own car before. 2.0 60' meant I'd trap 112 or so in the 1/8. but if played the throttle right and waited to nail it after the 60' mark i couldnt hit more then 1 108-109 in the 1/8. with a better et to boot. easy way to explain it, hell all i can say is torque & suspension tuning has every thing to do with it. when your boy was on radials, all he was doing was spinning. and id almost bet its a stick shift car to, which only makes it worse. most of which comes down to suspension tuning. if it dont hook out the hole, but hooks down track, you'll have it the other way around(where mph can go up and et down), but if you not hooking at all, then both will be down. get what im saying?

big power small tire cars go the other way. 18 degree sbc in a light ass nova on a 9" slick went 9.8's @156 with jimmy driving(came out hard and spun hard) but with perry driving the damn thing went 9.16 @146 (cam out way softer). Big power off the line means with more spin can give a car that rolling spring forward down the track(talking out my ass here at 3 am). I seen it in my own car before. 2.0 60' meant I'd trap 112 or so in the 1/8. but if played the throttle right and waited to nail it after the 60' mark i couldnt hit more then 1 108-109 in the 1/8. with a better et to boot. easy way to explain it, hell all i can say is torque & suspension tuning has every thing to do with it. when your boy was on radials, all he was doing was spinning. and id almost bet its a stick shift car to, which only makes it worse. most of which comes down to suspension tuning. if it dont hook out the hole, but hooks down track, you'll have it the other way around(where mph can go up and et down), but if you not hooking at all, then both will be down. get what im saying?

I know exactly what you are saying, but most don't think of it that way and don't understand what it is that they are saying when the say that spinning equals higher trap speed. Some people understand and others just make it seem like if you spin down the track you'll have a better trap speed.

Only good video, I have. Should have seen it when I snapped and axle in norwalk. Or blew the rearend up in at pacemakers. Oh, nobody there to video it.

I do have 2 other video's one is and incar (but the camera is kinda crooked, and the other is on stock tires and only ran 12.58 or something!!!!!

Wait I do have a couple videos that some one took from there phone! Hell, you can't even tell what you are looking at! LOL