Kart people...

,,,,,,comma,,,,,,

I am looking at getting a 100cc kart to race this summer and the local Circleville track. I don't know much about them I have raced motocross all my life. What should I look out for when buying a kart. Also I see that some people do autocross with them, are these the same set up karts?

PM my dad....

craig71188 he'll be able to answer any and all questions.

Short answer on autocross is that almost all forms of a racing kart have a class, the shifter karts run F125, but the non-shifter karts all have a class as well depending on their cc's.

If you don't PM him, I am sure he will post here...

I haven't raced Karts since I was about 18, but most of it depends on just how competitive you want to be. Your best bet would be to get with someone who still races down there and find out what classes are popular, it won't be much fun to only be racing a few people every week. As long as the chassis is in good shape, it should be pretty obvious how its been treated. The engine will just be crap shoot in my opinion.

I am looking at getting a 100cc kart to race this summer and the local Circleville track. I don't know much about them I have raced motocross all my life. What should I look out for when buying a kart. Also I see that some people do autocross with them, are these the same set up karts?

good idea!

first and foremost figure out what class you want to be in and what engine you want to race, then try to figure out what you want to spend. It's pretty straightforward though, look for a kart with the engine set up you want that's made by a good manufacturer and is relatively new. It should look clean and not beat to hell. For the most part they all have pretty much the same features, and for a beginner the little differences won't matter.

You can post ads here if you want to get some opinions or check out ekartingnews.com to see what people have to say.

I just started last year but feel free to PM me if you need any help, there's a lot to the sport and information is surprisingly hard to find, which can be overwhelming. You definitely won't regret buying one though.

As far as autocross - there are two "adult" classes F100 & F125. F125 is 125CC shifters and TAG karts, only the shifters seem to be competitive. Locally we have F100 for the various 100cc "non-shifting" engines, it is only a local class and it is rare that anyone runs in it.

Local sprint racing - as has been mentioned, be sure there are people racing in it locally (more fun). In shifters, everyone runs 80cc locally, not many 125's at all. A Yamaha (KT100) 100cc class (there are several) seems to be a popular one most everywhere. Again, check your local track/clubs to see.

Locally you can check out:

Ohio Valley Karting: http://www.ovka.com/

MidState Ohio Kart Club: http://www.msokc.org/

More good info at:

www.ekartingnews.com (mentioned in earlier post)-also a good place to shop. Craigslist is still where I've found my best deals - but you need to know what you're looking for/at.

A newer chassis is nice, generally late '90's to early 2000's should get you a decent "starter" kart. Look at the bottom for scrapes (all will have them) but tubes rubbed nearly through is very bad. Also look for cracks and signs of rewelded parts. Motors are a crap shoot - every one that's for sale has usually been "just freshened" - find one that runs, figure you can play with it for several months and then you will need to get it built. Be sure you find a seat that fits you - they come in a huge variety of sizes - but the right one can make all the difference in the world. Really good sprint seats can cost upwards of $200 new, but you can usually find a good used one if you shop around. Also try and buy a "package" of kart, motor, stand, spares, starter, extra gears, extra wheels, whatever else you can - it will save you money in the long run.

Finally, coming up February 6th is a huge swap meet in Springfield at the Clark County fairgraounds. Great place to pick up a used karting suit and spare bits and pieces you may need (if not a whole kart!)

I know there's a 100cc kart on CR for sale and I have two 125cc shifters I need to get rid of. Drop me a note if you have any specific questions - or about any kart packages you may be considering.

It's the same thing with bikes, people say to not start on a hayabusa, but people do anyways and are fine. It just depends on what series you want to run in and how fast you want to go. I started in a shifter and it is an absolute blast. I also had just come out of a formula ford in autocrossing, which I think made the transition a little easier.

The swap meet is fantastic, anything and everything is there. Picked up sets of slicks for $50 brand new, good used driver suits, etc..

I was originally wanting to get a shifter but my neighbor runs a 100cc non shifter and says I don't want to start out on one. I deffinetly will go to that swap meet though.

It's an old debate (in autocross and racing as well) start off in a slower class and work up or jump in at the deep end and learn that way.

I had autocrossed a lot, raced some and went right to the shifter (for autocross) - it took a while to adjust, and I still need to get more consistant. I would have learned about the driving faster without having to shift, but it all came together soon enough.

Depending on how much work you did on your motorcross bikes, the shifters may be easier for you from a maintenance standpoint. From a racing standpoint, you may get spanked pretty bad in a shifter initially, for some that's just more motivation to improve quicker!

125 TAG karts are not shifters and hae an on board starter (TAG= Touch and Go). No need to have someone with you at the track to start you up.

I have a 2004 (IIRC) Tony Kart Venox chassis TAG kart that I only used at a practice event. After that my life got crazy and I haven't been able to race. Now the kart sits in my basement and I'e been thinking about selling it. It comes with everything (PRD Fireball engine, Aim Mychron 3 dash, brand new steering wheel, brand new seat, e-Stanz folding kart stand, some different sprockets, and I have a matching Tony Kart suit and rib vest that could go with it if the price is right). It probably needs a carb rebuild by now, a new clutch on the engine, some new brake pads, and new belts for the water pump. Probably looking for somewhere aroun $2500 for everything.

What's that good for if nobody runs in the 100cc class? Just curious.

No one is really running the adult 100CC class to autocross.

If you want to run at Circleville with the local kart clubs, there are bunches of classes for the KT100 (100cc Yamaha) depending on weight, age, exhaust, etc.

What's that good for if nobody runs in the 100cc class? Just curious.

their are plenty of people in the 100cc class just not in autocross, bluemach says he wants to race at circleville and that's the only place that kart has been driven. Although you could autocross it anyway.

125 TAG karts are not shifters and hae an on board starter (TAG= Touch and Go). No need to have someone with you at the track to start you up.

I have a 2004 (IIRC) Tony Kart Venox chassis TAG kart that I only used at a practice event. After that my life got crazy and I haven't been able to race. Now the kart sits in my basement and I'e been thinking about selling it. It comes with everything (PRD Fireball engine, Aim Mychron 3 dash, brand new steering wheel, brand new seat, e-Stanz folding kart stand, some different sprockets, and I have a matching Tony Kart suit and rib vest that could go with it if the price is right). It probably needs a carb rebuild by now, a new clutch on the engine, some new brake pads, and new belts for the water pump. Probably looking for somewhere aroun $2500 for everything.

Sounds like this could be a pretty good deal - TAG is hot right now, seems to be where a lot of people are going just for the convenience. Still not quite as fast as the 125cc shifters, but close on a sprint track. A little bigger gap to the 125cc shifters in Solo due to more slow corners.

TONS of people run KT100 (yamaha 100cc class). At least at the kart tracks. It's probably the most popular kart engine in the country.

Starting in a shifter is a bad idea IMHO. You're much better off learning to be fast and smooth in a single speed 100cc kart, there's plenty of shit to focus on without shifting gears. Not to mention it's cheaper to buy a kt100 kart and way cheaper to maintain. If you're new you'll probably fuck shit up (I did) so cheap parts are a plus. There's lots of stuff to learn as far as clutch tuning, carb tuning, chassis tuning, etc. without the added complexity of a full blown shifter. TAG could be another option, but its a lot more power for a beginner and a lot more expensive.

So what kind of racing do they do in circleville? and when is it/how much does it cost?

Circleville is a sprint track. Here are the different classes:

http://www.msokc.org/classes.html

Here's a picture of the track:

http://www.kartlifters.com/

Races are on weekends. Open practice (unlimited laps/unlimited time) is a whopping 15 dollars per driver on any non race day, which includes many weekends.

I'm new so I've only done practice days. They are fun.

Well shit, they rent karts for $1.50/lap, LOL. I might have to go try it out when the weather gets better. How fast are the rental karts? Or how fast does your kart/a 100cc kart go?

Their rental karts are pretty slow. IIRC they are 4 strokes. Still worth it in my opinion to at least get an idea of what it like. I've never driven one myself. If you have absolutely zero karting/racing/driving experience it will be a really good starting point, certainly way above anything at magic mountain or putt putt. There's a place by my school in flint with 9hp 4 strokes and a really good track where I did a ton of karting before buying my own, and there's plenty to learn even on the "slow" karts.

Some people also have arrive and drives where they will prep a kart for you to show up and drive in. It's more expensive, and I'm not sure where you'd go to find one.

A KT100 will go up to about 50mph on the back straight at Circleville. With the right gearing and a long straight they will go quite a bit faster than that. A lot of people who race faster karts say they're slow but they are twice as fast as any kart you've ever rented anywhere. It's a really good starting place and you won't be disappointed. Nearly everyone starts in KT100 and almost anyone you talk to will recommend starting in KT100.

And what's up with the other link, where it says classes and MINIMUM weights? How does that work? How heavy is a kart? Because for 15years + you have to weigh a minimum of 350lbs it says, WTF?

The kart is about 150-200lbs depending on how much weight you put on it. The minimum weight is to make the racing even for drivers of all sizes. Most people add lead weight to get near the min weight and fill up the tank enough to get all the way there. 350 is driver + kart, its not as heavy as it sounds. I haven't dealt with any weight or anything yet, though I probably should get it to race weight and balanced.

Wow, I didn't realize those little karts weighed that much. Damn, I may be to big for this sport, lol, I'm like 250lbs...not sure if a kt100 would move my fat ass, haha

250 isn't too much I don't think. They have heavy classes. Not sure exactly what weights are involved and I may be overestimating the kart weight, but 250 should be do-able. The rental karts at the track will be similar to speeds, but a KT100 will be twice as fast and a TAG will be even faster than a that.