School me on Reloading

Evolved8

when i looked into it a while back, it seemed like i'd have to be really hardcore into shooting A LOT for it to really make a difference for me...since i only shoot every couple months or more, im not going to drop all that money into reloading to shoot so un-often. i just find the ammo where its cheapest and call it a day

like evan said depends on how much your shooting,free time you have on your hands, and the extra cash to buy the stuff

i do it cause i shoot often enough it has saved me money, i have free time, its relaxing, can make more quality loads, and so on :)

money for start up really depends on how involved you want to be, single stage presses are some what cheap to start off with but takes more time to do......progressive ones cost more but you can put out more reloads faster, the you have the whole quality thing of the both that can be a long debate btw everyone.....

its been long time since ive compared prices to my reloads to factory ammo so i cant really tell u a savings at the moment with out looking into it, my savings tho in reloading paid off pretty fast for as much as i was shooting tho last summer , you also have to figure your time i guess in the whole ordeal

hopefully that was somewhat helpful lol

ok dont kno what factory is going for but i just put some number together on

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

.12 to. 15 cents a rd for jhp 9mm depending on what powders i use and what i paid for cases. i have alot that are free or reused so u got to figure that in :)15 to 17 cents a rd for jhp .40

whats 9mm an .40 going for right now?

also buying powder in 4 and 8 lb kegs cuts a nice savings....same with primers by the 1k...

9mm is going for 11.99 a box of 50 right now at vances on sale from 14.99

I'm 99% sure that I paid $20.99 for a box of 100 for 9mm, winchesters, so that's like .21 cents a round, so if reloads cost .15 cents a round PLUS your time, and you have to buy equipment, it hardly sounds worth it.

I think it'd be more cost effective to buy larger amounts of ammo, like a case of 1000, because I'm sure the cost per round would drop.

I'm 99% sure that I paid $20.99 for a box of 100 for 9mm, winchesters, so that's like .21 cents a round, so if reloads cost .15 cents a round PLUS your time, and you have to buy equipment, it hardly sounds worth it.

I think it'd be more cost effective to buy larger amounts of ammo, like a case of 1000, because I'm sure the cost per round would drop.

i want to say it was like $19.47 at walmart for the WWB 100pk. i think when i got 3 boxes, it was $61-63 with tax.

Reloading has never really been worth it for 9mm, but it will save you money on the bigger calibers. Also, for people that shoot odd calibers like a 7mm mauser or .50AE, it saves us a shitton. Loading up precision shooting ammo for .30-06, .223, etc will save you money and let you be more consistent.

It used to be much cheaper, but bullets, brass and primers have gotten much more expensive in the last few years.

for .243 you'd probably save a bit. On good accurate .223 you'll save a bunch, but not much on blasting ammo. Back when you could buy pulled m193 for nothing, and brass was almost free I'd load tons. Not so much anymore.

austin is pretty spot on, not that the savings isnt worth it but you dont do any hobby trying to save money right?

ill try and figure out what i save on .223, loaded some 5.7 up and i save about .20 to .25 cents a rd depending on what bullet i go with, now that adds up

as stated the 9mm is a break even once time is figured in, but i dont have to worry if walmart has any cause i always have some :)