Turbotax

evan9381

Fail.

I've used them for the last 5 or 6 years...nothing to complain about...no more.

This year, i chose the delux version figuring it would help with everything from new home, finally having savings accounts gaining interest, few stock situations, and a couple other things.

then i get an email from them saying i can use the delux version for $19.95. i figure this is better than paying the $29.95, so i click the link in my email (mind you, this is from turbotax, same email they always send me stuff from) it takes me back to all my info ive already started to enter...i go to check out, and it wants to charge me the $29.95.

get the 800#, get connected to india (which pisses me off to no end...doesnt help much that ive been sick for 4 days, my mood is that much shittier), and they tell me to go ahead and pay the $29.95 and then call back in a few days to ask for the refund of $10.

WTF!

you send me an email offering me X price, but want me to pay more and then jump through hoops to call back and get a refund? fuck that. ill go with another company that wont dick me around.

• 2 weeks later...

I use HR Block online free version for the federal half, and just use the Ohio Dept. of Taxation site for filing the state half since HR Block wants you to pay for that.

Then again, I'm still filed as a dependent under my parents and my part time school job barely takes any taxes out, so I filed all my taxes in about 20 minutes. Looking forward to a whopping $51 bucks in my pocket next week.

H&R Block is what my girlfriend uses. I haven't decided if I want to file using a tax agent, that charges $100(But you get it back next year) or use the H&R software. Also, note that Turbotax doesn't cover anything, if you get audited and H&R software covers that.

I use HR Block online free version for the federal half' date=' and just use the Ohio Dept. of Taxation site for filing the state half since HR Block wants you to pay for that.[/quote']

I did that just about every year since they have been offering it until I got my house and it was always painless.

Now I have it done professionally. I thought about trying HRB TaxCut online this year, but the wife had some capital gains and school related stuff that seemed to complicate things so I stayed with a pro.

I've used turbotax previously. Last year, though, I used it for my gf's taxes but tried out freetaxusa.com. This year, I took another look at turbotax and realized not only was it a ripoff, but they can't even seem to agree to a $amount on their own website and cd mail offers.

Freetaxusa allowed me to do both federal and state (it also allows you to transfer in your details from last year if you used them - turbotax charges you) for only $9.95. That's $20 for both of us. Turbotax would've been $80 with "free federal filing". Horseshit. Also, freetaxusa is a recommended IRS website.

Actually, I believe Ohio has a free filing website for state if you choose to only do say free federal on one site and then do your state seperately.

• 2 weeks later...