flooded yard?

smokin5s

SHOULD drain, but have in mind, we had 6 inches of snow on the ground, which has melted in the past few days, plus a shit ton of rain, I don't see how ground can absorb that much water that quick... does anyone know how to put in those drains? (and yes, I will probably want to put them in this spring)

Its a tile drain. Dig hole insert pipe, Plan out your drainage right the first time to get the best bang for your buck. I prefer the socked ones. Most pipes(especially older ones) collapse either from weight, being compromised ect.... If you buy it, see if they recommend gravel. You could do a true french drain and just dig trench, pour in gravel and cover with a few inches of dirt. I would put some sock material(filtration paper) under dirt. And make sure you seal any joints in the pipe connections.

Putting in drain tile is cake.

As wnaplay said, plan it out first. Call OUPS before you start. Figure out how many feet of tile you need, as well as how many/type of connections you will need. The tile usually comes in 100 or 250ft rolls; 4" tile will suffice. Once you've got that figured out, make your life easy and go rent a walkbehind trencher. If your yard is flat, I believe the rule of thumb is to drop an inch every 8-10'. Start out shallow, because there's really no reason to sink it deep. If your yard has a natural slope to it (sounds like it doesn't if it's holding water), then you can leave your depth set since the yard will have a natural downward slope. When I put them in, I just tap the elevation lever on the trencher every 10' or so. It doesn't have to be exact; just keep the water flowing downhill.

If I were going to do it, I'd buy leach tile and turn it upside down (holes facing up). And if I felt the need to do so, I might cover it with some gravel to keep dirt out.

Anyways, you can probably rent a W/B trencher for ~$100/4hr, ~150/day. The faster you can get it done, the more money you'll save...obviously. Tile will run you about $.40/ft

We sell tile (and rent trenchers) at my stepfather's company and the prices I posted were what we charged, just to give you an idea.

if your yard is holding water close to your house its been improperly graded the water should flow away if it doesn't it can make your basement leak

drains and things are band aids if its in your budget have your yard checked by a surveyor and then properly graded to fix your drainage problems

if your yard is holding water close to your house its been improperly graded the water should flow away if it doesn't it can make your basement leak

drains and things are band aids if its in your budget have your yard checked by a surveyor and then properly graded to fix your drainage problems

+1

the house that's on it now honestly, will only be standing for 3-5 more years, in that time, we're going to pay off our debt and hopefully save enough to build our dream home.... at that time, we'll get everything dug right and get it sloped from the house properly. Until then, I want to make sure that I don't have free standing water that my dogs can get into and make a mess in my house or free standing water to attract misquitos as well as be a bitch to mow because it's always wet.

how many tiles do you need? do you spread them out 10 feet apart? I have 3 1/2 acres of land so that could get very costly if I do that.

again this could all be very premature and it could be standing water just because of the insaine amount of rain we've been having coupled with all the snow that's melted over the past few days.

you dont space it out, it is on continuous drain. Just make sure when putting it in you have some drainage. It all depends on where the water is flooding. You can call my company and talk to them and see if we can come out and do something about it

http://www.Hiddencreeklandscaping.com

the house that's on it now honestly, will only be standing for 3-5 more years, in that time, we're going to pay off our debt and hopefully save enough to build our dream home.... at that time, we'll get everything dug right and get it sloped from the house properly. Until then, I want to make sure that I don't have free standing water that my dogs can get into and make a mess in my house or free standing water to attract misquitos as well as be a bitch to mow because it's always wet.

how many tiles do you need? do you spread them out 10 feet apart? I have 3 1/2 acres of land so that could get very costly if I do that.

again this could all be very premature and it could be standing water just because of the insaine amount of rain we've been having coupled with all the snow that's melted over the past few days.

It's called tile, I believe, because it used to be mostly made out of clay. Most of the modern stuff is plastic. It's just a corregated tube with holes in it.

Looks like this:

http://www.borotek.com/photogallery/photo00011845/Drainage.JPG

you dont space it out, it is on continuous drain. Just make sure when putting it in you have some drainage. It all depends on where the water is flooding. You can call my company and talk to them and see if we can come out and do something about it

www.Hiddencreeklandscaping.com

Actually, you do. You should form a sort of grid with it. Farmers do it to keep their crop fields from turning into ponds. You'll sometimes hear it called field tile.

If I were going to do it (especially on a new house), I'd tie my downspouts in with it as well. Depending on how long you plan on staying, you might not want to get too elaborate ($$$) with it though. Here's the general idea:

http://i50.tinypic.com/vhvmhe.jpg

Dang Austin, I might have to get with you on helping me figure out how to set my property up... we plan on this being the house that our grand kids visit us at, so we want to do it right.. the only catch is, like I said, the house that we are living in now, is a 3-5 year deal and then our dream home will be built and this will be removed (or maybe relocated to the back of my property... we don't really know yet)

The back of my yard gets flooded a lot. Lucky nothing is affected around my house or my basement. Bad thing is this also happens in the summer with heavy rainfall. This is one of the reasons I always have to drop flea and tick growth regulator all over my yard every spring.

Dang Austin, I might have to get with you on helping me figure out how to set my property up... we plan on this being the house that our grand kids visit us at, so we want to do it right.. the only catch is, like I said, the house that we are living in now, is a 3-5 year deal and then our dream home will be built and this will be removed (or maybe relocated to the back of my property... we don't really know yet)

If you do end up doing this, make sure they are buried deep enough that they won't crush when something like a truck goes over them. Seen this happen several times, including the where I live. Part of the front yard is tiled but it's less than 6 inches under ground and the basement kept flooding. Dug up part of the tiling and found it was crushed pretty bad.

Our back yard slopes away, however, it slopes right into a little gully that gets flow from all the other houses up the street from us. It turns into a little 3.5ft wide 1ft deep creek when it's bad with a pretty good current. ATM, it's just flooded which guarantees muddy damn dogs evertime they go out. :( That = me standing in the cold with a pot of water and a cleaning towel before they can come back in. :mad: I actually wish it would freeze again.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs157.snc3/18450_274292716519_545206519_3437083_722725_n.jpghttp://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs157.snc3/18450_274291886519_545206519_3437082_3549767_n.jpg

this is my back yard...the overflow is the very back corner of the property. Farm behind it...