My 88 ranger gt build

ShoMeSomeFun

Little history, truck was found when I was 15 in a field behind a barn. It was white, w/red interior, top chopped, as well as the wall between the cab and bed. Me and my dad then got it running and painted the body purple and the gt effects yellow. Updated the interior w/purple and yellow leather, and died the dash. Then I blew the original motor, replaced it with another 2.9, that motor failed at 27000 miles due to my age and spirited driving. I also wrecked the truck and had to paint it all yellow due to the cost of the purple paint being $800 a quart. After my motor blew I joined the military and spent about a year traveling back home to upgrade to a v8. I was successful, and put only about 500 miles on it in 4 years due to me always being away. My original v8 has a edelbrock intake, holley 650cfm carb, mild cam, and hedman headers, all backed by a rebuilt c6 tranny.

Fast forward to now, truck is completly torn down, I have a new crate motor being delivered (400hp) on monday which is the last part i need. The truck has a new fuel cell being installed, suspension, bushings, everything. Im going to paint the truck back to purple and yellow and paint the frame. I had it right the first time.

Im currently in afghanistan doing contract work as a civilian and my dad is doing the build for me at his body shop. Our family body shop is located on 5th ave.

Heres the pics:http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/mattkeenusaf/MK1jpg.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/mattkeenusaf/MK2.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/mattkeenusaf/MK6.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/mattkeenusaf/MK8jpg.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx315/mattkeenusaf/MK15.jpg

contract work huh? What company?

I work for TCS (Telecommunication Systems) we are based out of annapolis, however I was working out of our tampa, fl division for production, now im into installs and customer service and work out of atlanta, georgia. Basically I do SIPR/NIPR comm installs on forward operating bases here in afghanistan.

where the hell did you find a GT Ranger? I have wanted to build a ranger SHO.........but that damn GT kit is impossible to find!

When I found the truck it had the kit on it. The ranger gt's came with a 2.9 and bucket seats, and macphearson suspension.

The SHO build was originally what I was going to do, had a 91 SHO taurus to start it off with, hence my original username. But at the time I didnt have the funds to really pull it off so it was scrapped.

Ford did build one SHO truck and that was what the Ranger Gt was supposed to be, that would of been pretty cool if they had went with it. Years ago I seen that someone was going to build one, but I dont know if he ever finished it. Maybe when I get back Ill try to find another gt and try the build again, but thats just a dream right now.

besides the drivetrain, what you plan on doing with the rest of it?

this going to be a driver or a show truck?

I have a 8.8 rearend being rebuilt thats going to be installed. The rearend is at another shop right now being shortened. So thats what were waiting on to go on with the build, frame will be sandblasted and painted after that.

Im shooting for just a weekend cruiser, not a dd. Just something nice, have alittle punch, and be reliable enough to take out to the track every now and then. I dont really want to spend too much money on making a true show truck.

The motor in the pics I havent decided if Ill do another project and use it for that, or stroke it out to have a backup motor/upgrade to put more power down.

Also as soon as it gets close to done, Im going to pay you to do the wiring in the truck if you dont mind, and hopefully that will be the last step I need. You be able to hear my truck run before I do.

Also I was wondering if you know much about brakes, theres a way to fit the front of the truck with 93 cobra brakes and I was looking into it, but it seems that the kits that used to be out there are no longer on the market, I was wondering if you knew anything about it?

Guest Removed

that swap , you cant get no more cause it was a junk setup...they would eat wheel bearings up bad......IMO, find a 2000 up ranger chassis to have the IRS up front or

go with a fat man kit and put a mustang 2 suspension under the front of it. what way you knock a ton of weight off the front of it, have a lot more stuff and support, and options for brakes, suspension and rack and pinion steering. and a much better ride.

cheap way is to get a rolling frame from a 2000 up truck with the irs front suspension and better brakes.IIRC, they make a big brake kit for those. but thats something to think about before doing that frame. either later model frame swap, or doing the fatman mustang 2 front suspension

Wow you know your shit. Ill just stick to what I have then maybe upgrade later down the road. The rearend is out of a 98 explorer so has disc brakes on the back that should help slow me down better than the stock drums that were on it before.

Guest Removed
should have put 9" axle ends on it(or just got a 9" from a truck and cut it down to fit what ever rear rims and tires under it), to ditch the c clips and you dont have to worrie about leaking clip eliminators., plus you could use old versailes lincoln brakes that are 11" and would help add weight over the rear tires wear it needs to be. the explorers had larger tubes which makes it harder to narrow properly. unless you have some one doing it that knows what there doing with that housing.

should have put 9" axle ends on it(or just got a 9" from a truck and cut it down to fit what ever rear rims and tires under it), to ditch the c clips and you dont have to worrie about leaking clip eliminators., plus you could use old versailes lincoln brakes that are 11" and would help add weight over the rear tires wear it needs to be. the explorers had larger tubes which makes it harder to narrow properly. unless you have some one doing it that knows what there doing with that housing.

I found a guy that knows his stuff when it comes to rearends. I looked for a 9" rearend end but I was being cheap, and now that Im 8500 into this project I should of went with the 9inch. Hindsight is 20/20.

The 8.8 should be plenty strong for what Im using it for especially with the auburn unit.

I did pick up a 9 inch housing for 50 bucks from a friend that has multiple track cars in my search of rearends.

For weight over the front the motor has aluminum heads so that helps some, the truck also has dropped ibeams and never drove bad with the all iron v8 in it. Also a 16 gallon fuel cell is going in between the frame rails where the spare tire would be that also helps. Im going to relocate the battery as well.

With the lincoln brakes is that what I could apply to my 8.8 rear or was that for a 9''?

Guest Removed
when you take the 8.8 ends off...i normally go with 9" axle housing ends. gives you more brake options. or run the 9" end on it that work with factory 8.8 rear brake flanges(say from a 99 up mustang rear brake disc's) but the lincoln brakes work with the large 9" housing ends. plus like i was saying the 9" housing ends seem to take street duty, and track abuse better.