Yellow Sludge on my 710 cap

Sully

I changed the oil in my truck yesterday. Took the 710 cap off and noticed this:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=259&pictureid=3496

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=259&pictureid=3497

The oil that drained out was black. I took it over to Advanced Auto to dump the oil so that I could see it as I poured it in the container. The entire 7 quarts was black. No hint of yellow colors or sludge.

I wiped the 710 cap and fill neck off. What caused this? Is this something to be concerned about?

When I used to work at valvoline you would see that a lot, and they were all on cars that used plastic valve covers with long filler necks like that. It was more common on Jeeps. Its definitely moisture that causes it, but the oil usually seems OK coming out. I think its just the design of the valve covers/neck that causes it. In a DD and driving more than 15mins I would assume that the oil gets hot enough.

When I used to work at valvoline you would see that a lot, and they were all on cars that used plastic valve covers with long filler necks like that. It was more common on Jeeps. Its definitely moisture that causes it, but the oil usually seems OK coming out. I think its just the design of the valve covers/neck that causes it. In a DD and driving more than 15mins I would assume that the oil gets hot enough.

It is much harder to get that plastic up to the temps necessary to get that shit to melt/start to evaporate. The car has to to be driven hard/long enough to get all them moisture out..otherwise it will kindly hang out on the that "relative to everything else" cool plastic.

Hell, I saw some pictures of a 2.0T that some guy drove a couple miles each way to work in. He had a inch of that shit attached to his valve cover, was disgusting.:barf:

Guest Removed

the 4.7 jeeps have a tsb on it , the fill caps get so bad you cant put oil in them(on them the stuff would get hard)

and like jones said, yeah a 15 minute drive it gets warm, but when running the heater, the t stat wont open, and you never really use the radiator on a short drive, and hence the valve cover area can and will stay cold

OK. Thanks guys. I was afraid that it might be the start of something really bad to follow. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it and clean off the cap and filler neck on a regular basis. I'm not sure if it would really hurt anything, but I'd rather not have that gunk fall down in the oil.

On the weekends, I'll make a few trips to Home Depot which is 2 minutes away.

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."