NEED HELP- See cliffs for quick info

Rhett

Ok, A friend of mine does mechanic work on the side. He is a ODOT mechanic full time for the motorcycles used for the testing and safety courses.

A guy came to him 3 years ago with a bunch of parts to build a Bike for him. It was a 750 frame, motor from a 1000 and a few other fun toys like air shifter, chrome wheels, pressurized swing arm and other things. He asked him to build the bike for him. During the process The guy who brought the parts was murdered, shot over some stupid gang shit. So my friend has a bad ass bike, no title... no owner. He tries to contact the family... nothing ever from them. A year goes by and he sells the bike. Now, 2.5 years from the death the family is wanting the money or the bike. He has neither. He was laid off recently and has no work.

Is he responsible for the bike or money now?

Please let me know.

CLIFFS:

Guy ask my friend to build BA bike, Guy is murdered. My friend has sold he bike year after trying to contact family. family now wants said bike or money. Its been 2.5 years since death.

WTF has happened that the family all of a sudden wants this 2 1/2 years later??

If I were him I would say he gave it back to the guy before he was killed....Let them prove it in court that e didnt. They dont have any kind of proof if its been this long...

This gets sticky if the work was 'on the side'. Without a real business to file a mechanic's lien and if nothing is reported on personal taxes for the 'hobby', this is not as easy as it sounds.

In court, this turns into a 'friend' with property belonging to someone else. That friend sold the property and doesn't want to give the money to the estate (or family) of the actual owner of the property. Without a written agreement (both people) stating payment or storage reimbursement... You see where I'm going. Just my .02¢

Good luck to your friend. Sounds like a bad situation all around.

No paper, checks, proof, etc....something that will hold up in court.....then can't prove shit. If I were you buddy, I'd say it was all talk of potentially happening, but nothing came from it, he died, I cried, life went on and that's it.

Sorry family, but I got nothing. :o

Guest Removed
This gets sticky if the work was 'on the side'. Without a real business to file a mechanic's lien and if nothing is reported on personal taxes for the 'hobby', this is not as easy as it sounds.

In court, this turns into a 'friend' with property belonging to someone else. That friend sold the property and doesn't want to give the money to the estate (or family) of the actual owner of the property. Without a written agreement (both people) stating payment or storage reimbursement... You see where I'm going. Just my .02¢

Good luck to your friend. Sounds like a bad situation all around.

even on a side work, you can file for a title . i did this with a dirt bike several years ago. kid went to big boy prison for a long time, parents wouldnt hand over the title. i filed a lien on it, and they got letters. they in turn tired to sue me for stealing the bike. i laughed, we had our day in court, and i got awarded the title. but this is the only thing, if the guy doing this didnt file for the title, i know the rules change if he didnt.

even on a side work, you can file for a title . i did this with a dirt bike several years ago. kid went to big boy prison for a long time, parents wouldnt hand over the title. i filed a lien on it, and they got letters. they in turn tired to sue me for stealing the bike. i laughed, we had our day in court, and i got awarded the title. but this is the only thing, if the guy doing this didnt file for the title, i know the rules change if he didnt.

You are correct about being able to file for title even on side work. The issus is if you haven't claimed any of the $ from doing side work, or don't have a corporation (llc) setup, you can open yourself up to 'other' issues...

Situation stinks for everyone involved - good luck working it out.

Guest 614Streets

I have filed for title before. Basically as long as you have a little sign in your shop for storage fee's and have a vendors license to operate , then you have little trouble obtaining a title other than waiting for the value of the car to be diminished by outstanding repairs and storgae fee's. Its a whole lot better to have a written signature by a customer to cover your ass.

The bikes original owners family is fucked.