windows dvd maker help?

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

im trying to put Law Abiding Citizen onto a dvd...i bought normal dvd-r discs...ive never done this before, maybe im doing something wrong

I loaded Windows DVD Maker and imported the video file. I set up the menus. I left the formatting all the same .. it reads

aspect ratio 4:3 ...should i have 16:9? not sure what the difference is. I have a fullscreen tv not a wide screen.

NTSC video format

DVD Burner Speed: Fastest

everything looks good. I hit preview and it takes me to a preview of the DVD. Menus work, and the movie plays.

Hit burn and after about 3 hours the disc is complete. Put it into the dvd player and it says Bad Disc. I tried again thinking maybe it got messed up, and i got the same result...now im out 2 dvd discs since they arent RW discs, so i want to get it figured out before i keep trying.

any advice? is there a better free dvd burning software to use?

also, the movie is in .avi format, but I have the proper codecs to play them with the windows software.

Guest tbutera2112

it also wont even play in the same computer i burned it on....not sure why the "preview" is fine, but after i burn it nothing works

and my driver is up to date, and my drive does support dvd-r writing

https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P168011/en/spec.htm

should i try burning it again on a slower speed?

Guest tbutera2112

i was reading that 90% of memorex dvd-r's are garbage for putting movies on and only good for data....i might try to pick up some sony ones...im gonna go ahead and just keep burning it until i get through this 10 pack...maybe ill get one disc that isnt shit

what is the difference in -r and +r ?

I burned 100 Memorex DVDs a while back as promotional materials for my class. Not a bad burn in the bunch. I don't remember if I used + or -R discs though. I've not had good luck with Verbatim, but buy a small pack of each and try them. I'm sure there are better burning programs out there, but if you can make use of what you have and you're happy with it ....

I think the burner and the player has as much to do with the outcome as the discs themselves. Find what works for you and use it.

BTW, I did the video with Movie Maker in Windows 7. Worked like a charm.

Edited by Richard Cranium
added program used

download dvdshrink and use it. you can set up the compression for a single or dual layer dvd. you do need nero burning rom installed to burn the image through dvdshrink. otherwise it wil just make the vob files and you can burn with another program.

Guest tbutera2112

used a new program and got different results...but not good ones

so i converted and burned the video....it said complete and said it was all good

then i tried to play it and still nothing

put the disc in the computer and its still blank....

any ideas?

its not freezing up my computer like the others burned with windows dvd maker, but its not playing either because it says its blank still

try to burn a music cd and see what happens. also, since you converted the movie with convertxtodvd you shouldn't have to do it again and it will be located in a folder on your computer. I'm not at home so I can't tell you the specific folder but I think it's in my documents>convertxtodvd. so if you do need and get another burner you can just burn the movie right away instead of reconverting it.