subaru AWD not working

undr_psi

so the AWD my moms 97 outback quit working, front wheels still work but I dont know anything about theses cars so i have no idea what to look for, Ive visually inspected the drive line and nothing seems broken or out of place, trans fluid levels are fine. There are no dash lights on the shouldn't be except the check engine light..which I'm waiting on a scanner so i can see what that's about but its probably throwing a cat code again. Is there any Problems that the AWD system is know to have? any ideas would be great!

Thanks again!

yeah its an auto, i went through all the fuses and the all look ok..but I cant find one that has anything to do with the AWD..nothing in the manual says anything about it. unless its piggy backed off another fuse..(ie. my talons seat belts and headlight motors and tied with the same fuse)

Ahh, nevermind. I just read that you put a fuse IN to put it in FWD mode if you have to use the donut.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/9078awd_fuse_1-med.jpg

Any other lights on the dash?

the trans solenoid is supposedly very fragile. someone once told me they broke one by punching the trans pan in frustration.

I think 90's Subarus throw a check engine light if something in the transmission goes bad, at least my SVX did.. I think..

Definitely give Mead Engineering a call, they are Subaru deities.

Meade is gone for a long time now. I shot you a pm

Ahh, nevermind. I just read that you put a fuse IN to put it in FWD mode if you have to use the donut.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/9078awd_fuse_1-med.jpg

Any other lights on the dash?

the trans solenoid is supposedly very fragile. someone once told me they broke one by punching the trans pan in frustration.

Is this a joke?

:funny:

no.. having a different sized tire will screw up the drivetrain. From what I've heard, even having different tire pressure can damage it.

This is also why with a RWD car/truck you should always have equal diameter tires on both sides of the axle if it has a limited slip dif (at least the clutch type ones).

I would assume the same applies to center-diffs as they work in a similar fashion, unless its a torsen.