How do I remove this shifter knob?

lcz06

I am trying to install a new shifter knob on the vett and for the life Of me, I can't figure out how to remove this knob. I looked for any pins, holes ect and their appear to be none. I have the B&M Ripper shifter installed. I have tried pulling up, turning left/right ect, and overall muscling the hell out of it. I can get it to turn about a 1/4 to the right and that's about it. Everything also seems directly connected to the shifter base and not off to the side (removable shifter bar) like the Mustang shifters. Any ideas?

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/374/201002241246send.jpg

With most of them, they give you little circular cardboard spacers to get the knob logo in the center for adjustment. I wonder if one if the got jammed in the threads when it was put on. I had that happen to me and it took a hang of a lot of muscle to twist it off.

if you plan on throwing it away you could use grip it with a pipe wrench and turn it that way.

I thought about something like that. I would like to keep it reusable, in case I ever wanted to change back/sell. Maybe I should sell the knob and shifter assembly. Then just get a new shifter. Why does it turn 1/4 to the right, then stop. Doesn't make any since if the original owner put some lock tight or something on the threads. It shouldn't move at all.

Edited by lcz06

Guest Removed
very well could be crossed on, and the 1/4 turn deal, it may be turning the insert inside the ball. just a thought. but you could alway get a strap wrench and try twisting it off. that would be the only way i could think of getting it off without damage.

What about pulling down the boot a bit and seeing if there is a set screw?

I know the factory knob has a small cap in the top that has a metal t-bar called the "demon key" affectionately on corvette forums that allows it to turn just a bit but not off like you describe... that b@stard is hard to get out.

I put a c6 z06 knob and shifter in mine and love it!

very well could be crossed on, and the 1/4 turn deal, it may be turning the insert inside the ball. just a thought. but you could alway get a strap wrench and try twisting it off. that would be the only way i could think of getting it off without damage.

I checked underneath the shifter, by removing the boot and I would have to take apart the dash(easy and not hard at all), then remove the rubber boot, to see the shifter base. I didn't see any set screw, before the rubber base cover. Prob what I'll end up doing and have some strap wrenches ready. I'll go and pick some up from Harbor Freight on the cheap. Worth a shot because I am done trying to pull it by hand. Thanks for the advice, I'll post up my findings.

is that a white console in a c5???

sorry i cant help with the shifter problem

Yes, the original owner had it painted and looks nice imop. I didn't like it at first, but it grows on you. I would like to change a few things on the interior though.

Is yours the speedway white Z I see downtown occasionally? You have done some exhaust work to it? Some sort of personalized plate IIRC? I don't think the strap wrench is going to solve your problem- especially not one of those rubber ones on such a smooth surface. If your hand isn't slipping and you are getting a 1/4 turn I am still going for a set screw, jam nut, or a setup like the factory with a demon key and a removable cap somewhere...

I would get a chain wrench and some rubber sheeting if you really want to muscle it off but you will probably still destroy it and/or strip something out- what are you trying to go to?

This is the closest I can find to what looks like yours:

http://www.c5stuff.com/shopping/1391.html

Is yours the speedway white Z I see downtown occasionally? You have done some exhaust work to it? Some sort of personalized plate IIRC? I don't think the strap wrench is going to solve your problem- especially not one of those rubber ones on such a smooth surface. If your hand isn't slipping and you are getting a 1/4 turn I am still going for a set screw, jam nut, or a setup like the factory with a demon key and a removable cap somewhere...

I would get a chain wrench and some rubber sheeting if you really want to muscle it off but you will probably still destroy it and/or strip something out- what are you trying to go to?

This is the closest I can find to what looks like yours:

http://www.c5stuff.com/shopping/1391.html

The only time I was downtown(w/the vette), was when I had some rims/tires switched out at NTB. I also drove it down when my dad ran. That's about it. I really don't trust it parked in most areas and especially a valet parking.

That knob does look allot like mine and I been looking online for any extra info and I'm still turning up nothing. I been also reading up installs on the B&M Ripper shifter and their doesn't seem to be any set screw. I might try and call them tomorrow and see if they have any advice. The new knob is a slight variation of the one that I have now. I got it on sale for pretty cheap. I thought it was going to be an easy swap. Look at the pics of the shifter, (not my car), http://www.2phast.com/Corvette/Untitled-318.jpg, I don't want to go about taking it apart, if it's not going to accomplish anything. Let's say it has a jam nut, how would I go about taking it off? Their are no visible ways of getting into the knob from the outside, it's just one solid piece.

If that is the shifter in your car it looks to me like it takes the demon key and the factory knob that AJ and I were referring to because of that machined slot in the top of the threaded section- try and twist the top half only of the ball counterclockwise- the seam may be so perfect it is hard to see...

FWIW I have only seen the white z downtown once or twice IIRC and my wife said she saw it another time- she works down there- I saw it once at easton as well.

One other thing you may try- I don't know why they would do this but maybe it is reverse threaded and you can go 1/4 turn because you are actually tightening it until it bottoms out- try turning it clockwise.

• 1 month later...