Gourmet Dinner on the Cheap! Long Read!

Rotarded1647545491

Just thought I'd share a little culinary simplicity that is inexpensive and delicious.

Firstly, Check out the seafood section of your local Whole Foods/Giant Eagle/etc.. What you are looking for is wild caught Coho, Sockeye, or Copper River Salmon. At this time of year these seem to pop up frequently as specials. You should be able to immediately notice the difference between the "farm raised" "product of Chile" "color added" salmon as it is pale pink while the wild caught varieties are bright dark orange, almost red. I found Sockeye at Whole foods on Friday at $7.99 a pound. Buy a whole side (skin on) and have the fishmonger cut it into 4 equal pieces. these will be much larger than the portion you get at the top-end restaurants.

To Prepare:

Set Oven to 350 degrees F.

Crush up about 10-12 Ritz crackers in a baggy. Add Onion powder, Garlic Powder, Dried Parsley, Salt and Pepper to the bag. Delete salt if using garlic salt or onion salt. Pour mixture onto a plate.

Pre-heat an oven safe pan over medium heat with a teaspoon of oil in it.

Trim the thinner, outer portions, of each filet so that they are close to uniform thickness. The thinner portions will cook through and dry out long before the thick areas.

Dredge the top of the filets in the herbed cracker mixture pushing down to adhere plenty to the fish. Drop the Salmon, skin side down, in the hot pan and cook for 1 minute.

Place pan in oven for 8 minutes.

(I dredged the trim pieces and put the in the oven for 3 mins as a little chef's treat)

Meanwhile, Steam some fresh broccoli, edamame, cubed new potatoes. or whatever vegetable you like. Or you could make some mashed with garlic and Parmesan. All simple and quick.

Remove the fish from the oven and plate. If it looks a but underdone, don't put back in oven. Carryover heat will finish it while you plate the veggies.

You will not have a better Salmon dinner at any restaurant in town, It's Quick, easy, and CHEAP!

Salmon = $16.06 FOR 4 large servings (2.03#s). I froze 2. Yes, you can freeze it for up to a month without ruining it.

Edamame = $1.69 (Frozen in pod) 1 bag is more than 2 servings

New potatoes = $2.79 for a 7# bag.

For under $22.00 you can feed 4.

My almost identical individual meal at Bonefish last week was over $25. The Fish was farm raised tasteless and the portion was just over half of what I ate tonite.

And....It's really easy to do in under 30 mins.

• Upvote 1

You really should make this kind of post more often for us that are scared of the kitchen. Got anything that's not seafood though?

Sausage & Onions:

Get as much as you want of any of these:

Chorizo (Spicy>mild)

Buffalo chicken sausage

Sweet italian sausage

I've found that combinations of those 3 are the best.

In a frying pan, use a teaspoon of olive oil to brown some garlic, then add onions and mushrooms chopped into large pieces. Cook until onions are losing their color and mushrooms are gaining some.

Then add the sausage, sliced into about 1/4 inch thick slices.

Cover and let cook over med-low heat, turning until all sausage is cooked through.

Serve on a toasted bun, preferably open faced.

+1 Not real scared of the kitchen, lately been making breakfast for myself after I get off work. Now I'm kind of wanting to cook other thing. I'm defiantly going to try that salmon. and most of those ingredients I already have. Thanks alot. got any ideas for eggs? or other breakfast foods?

Thanks for the post. My wife and I actually make a game out figuring out how much our whole meal costs and comparing it to what it would cost if we were to eat out. For instance last night I got 4 9oz NY Strips from Carfagnas for $24, covered them in cracked multi-colored pepper, (about $.50 worth) and tossed them on the grill while I had 4 russet bakers in the oven and sauteed $2.80 worth of asparagus. $22 bottle of wine was a gift but lets just say I had to pay for it:

Steaks $24

4 Potatoes $1.50

Asparagus $2.80

Sour Cream $1.00

Butter $.75

Onion powder, garlic powder, pepper $.65

Olive Oil $.30

2007 Sketchbook Cabernet $22.00

Total $53.00

$200+ dollar meal at Hyde Park (Would have been closer to $35 if i had gone with a decent table wine like Gato Negro Cab for $4.00)

It's good time. My wife makes amazing 3 cheese stuffed shells in marinara sauce for next to nothing...

got any ideas for eggs? or other breakfast foods?

Stuffed French Toast:

Beat 2 eggs thoroughly in a bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of Vanilla extra (or Kahlua!). Mix Well. Pour into shallow bowl or plate wide enough to lay a slice of bread fully inside. This should be enough to coat 4-6 pieces.

Crush 1/4 cup Corn Flakes and pour onto plate. Any Corn or Rice cereal, even frosted, will also do.

Smear piece of bread (I prefer texas toast for the thick slices) with softened or whipped Cream cheese on one side only.

Dredge one side of these in the egg mixture and drop onto cereal crumbs.

Dredge one side of plain bread into egg mixture and drop onto cereal crumbs.

Place both pieces egg side down onto hot skillet, non-stick prefered, coated but not puddled with oil.

Add a tablespoon of your favorite fruit jelly or jam, or fresh berries, to the top of the cream cheese.

Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Place plain sided piece on top of cream cheese/fruit piece and continue to cook until golden brown and crisp, Flip and repeat.

Top with butter/powdered sugar/syrup as desired.

Subway= $5 per person... ready to eat in under 8 min... and you dont have to worry about cooking. or cleaning the mess.. or anything else..

j/k But that sounds amaznig if I liked seafood at all..

try lasagna and spaghetti with salad and a app at marcellas for 63 bucks... forget that one glad I went once for the expiernce but I was not all impressed.. i will never be going there again