We saved 246KWH

KillJoy

For February of 2009, we used 1,101KHW of Electricity. For Feb of 2010, we used 855KWH. This is a reduction of 246KWH at a cost of $17.47.

The ONLY change we have made is light bulbs. We changed the following lights to the Compact Florescent Bulbs:

2 x Garage Lights (on at dusk via a sensor)

2 x Back Patio Lights (on nightly via a switch)

3 x Front Porch Lights (on nightly via a switch)

3 Kitchen Lights (on when occupied)

5 Living Room Lights (on when occupied)

Apparently, the ~ $45 Investment in these bulbs were worth it! Also, it seems these "blow out" MUCH less frequently then a standard bulb!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Edited by KillJoy

Cool data. I also just put CFL's everywhere in my house. The only thing I really want to step up to is LED's for my can floodlights (dimmable)...

Wait...was the $17 JUST for the month-over-month savings comparison for February? Not annual savings?

that's the only bulbs we ever run... its nice for the cost savings, but I do it bceause the standard bulbs blow out way too freaking much.

that reminds me of a project I'm working on at work, we are shutting every machine down at 9:00 nightly because people are too lazy to turn their pc's off when they go home. Each PC is looked at as the equivilant of a 60 watt light bulb so the cost savings is huge (when you're talking about 10,000 PC's) I can't wait to see what the stats show.... should be something like a quarter mill savings anually.

You guys run these CFLs outside in the cold? I replaced our 2 front porch lights with LEDs at the end of Jan. since the CFLs I had out there would flicker when it was cold and they burnt out once a month since it got cold. I had to replace them in December, and January.

You guys run these CFLs outside in the cold? I replaced our 2 front porch lights with LEDs at the end of Jan. since the CFLs I had out there would flicker when it was cold and they burnt out once a month since it got cold. I had to replace them in December, and January.

Yes, we have 7 CLFs outside. They take ~ 20-30 seconds to "warm up" and get to full brightness. We installed these late last Summer, and have not had to replace a single one.

KillJoy

Hold off on the windows, guys. sometime this year or early next year, the Ohio government will be putting some legislation into effect that will pay homeowners up to 6000 dollars to make theire homes "Sustainability Certified". I will post more about it as I learn more, but it IS coming.

Hold off on the windows, guys. sometime this year or early next year, the Ohio government will be putting some legislation into effect that will pay homeowners up to 6000 dollars to make theire homes "Sustainability Certified". I will post more about it as I learn more, but it IS coming.

You mean more free money...I already took 8000, ill take another 6000 :)

For February of 2009, we used 1,101KHW of Electricity. For Feb of 2010, we used 855KWH. This is a reduction of 246KWH at a cost of $17.47.

The ONLY change we have made is light bulbs. We changed the following lights to the Compact Florescent Bulbs:

2 x Garage Lights (on at dusk via a sensor)

2 x Back Patio Lights (on nightly via a switch)

3 x Front Porch Lights (on nightly via a switch)

3 Kitchen Lights (on when occupied)

5 Living Room Lights (on when occupied)

Apparently, the ~ $45 Investment in these bulbs were worth it! Also, it seems these "blow out" MUCH less frequently then a standard bulb!

KillJoy

can you post what parts youy used in the kitchen and living rooms to only be on when occupied?

Yes, we have 7 CLFs outside. They take ~ 20-30 seconds to "warm up" and get to full brightness. We installed these late last Summer, and have not had to replace a single one.

KillJoy

Well shit, what brand did you use? Share. My LEDs were like $50 for 2.

can you post what parts youy used in the kitchen and living rooms to only be on when occupied?

What part was used to control the lights being on when we were in the room?

I think most folks just call them a "Light Switch".

:eek:

KillJoy

Sort of off-topic, but what kind of sensor are your garage lights on? I have tried a few different kinds with poor results.

Dunno.... it was on the Garage when built. It is a Dominion Home, so I am sure it is the cheapest thing available! :D Serisouly though, it is just a simple Outdoor 2 Bulb Flood Light that has a "light sensor" in it.

KillJoy

PS - I will get a list of all of the Bulbs we are using this evening...

I mean what part.

You're not making any sense dude. They turn the light switch on when they enter the room and turn it off when they leave the room.

Maybe we're not understanding your question.