Schumacher Homes

LS_Sonoma

Thanks!

Any negatives out there?

Yes, but FWIW, I think each experience has it's own story. Builders and subcontractors are about as consistent as delivery pizza. I have a background in Architecture and can tell you it's all in the people building the project. They need managed. That's why you'll hear the stigma of stress when building a home.

Jason aka Akula hasn't been very pleased. Perhaps PM him for details. However, again, keep in mind your mileage will vary.

DO NOT have Schumacher Homes build your house. I don't really want to bust your bubble but here goes... I USED to work in construction management (thanks Obama), so I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

I attempted to help a "friend" (ie. single mother I was fucking) with several problems she was having with a home she had constructed by Schumacher. There were several things that bothered me about the construction of this house:

- Every window and door on the back side of the house leaked. I don't believe that flashing of any kind was used during the construction of that home.

- 95% of the floor joists had dirt residue on them where they most likely sat in a pile of mud and most definitely warped. This caused the house not to "settle" correctly and half of the doors wouldn't shut without significant force.

- Sawcuts and placement of the beam supports in the basement caused the concrete floor to be substantially cracked.

- General craftsmanship of the house was inferior - countertops, fixtures, finish carpentry, ect.

This was about 1.5 years ago so they may have found some different amigos to frame their houses. If you do decide to use them, please for the love of god - DO NOT USE THEIR CONTRACT. Write your own, have a lawyer review it, do something!!! Everytime I met with these cocksuckers to try and remedy some of this poor woman's problems with this junk house, they tried to bullshit their way out of it. I really considered just busting some heads in the parking lot.

DO NOT have Schumacher Homes build your house. I don't really want to bust your bubble but here goes... I USED to work in construction management (thanks Obama), so I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

I attempted to help a "friend" (ie. single mother I was fucking) with several problems she was having with a home she had constructed by Schumacher. There were several things that bothered me about the construction of this house:

- Every window and door on the back side of the house leaked. I don't believe that flashing of any kind was used during the construction of that home.

- 95% of the floor joists had dirt residue on them where they most likely sat in a pile of mud and most definitely warped. This caused the house not to "settle" correctly and half of the doors wouldn't shut without significant force.

- Sawcuts and placement of the beam supports in the basement caused the concrete floor to be substantially cracked.

- General craftsmanship of the house was inferior - countertops, fixtures, finish carpentry, ect.

This was about 1.5 years ago so they may have found some different amigos to frame their houses. If you do decide to use them, please for the love of god - DO NOT USE THEIR CONTRACT. Write your own, have a lawyer review it, do something!!! Everytime I met with these cocksuckers to try and remedy some of this poor woman's problems with this junk house, they tried to bullshit their way out of it. I really considered just busting some heads in the parking lot.

How would such a house even pass inspection? Wouldnt the bank require a 3rd party inspector to come out and find flaws like this before they even released funds?

How would such a house even pass inspection? Wouldnt the bank require a 3rd party inspector to come out and find flaws like this before they even released funds?

Sorry but your post made me LOL. Even most 3rd party inspectors are morons, even worse than the city/county inspectors. Usually people who are that fucking stupid become cops or home inspectors.

I dealt with a lot of 3rd party inspectors for banks, we'd just sit there and smoke cigarettes and talk about pussy. Then he'd approve it and leave.

Schumacher is a decent builder but you need to put some provisions on your build. Tell them you want quiet and straight floors. My first floor is all crazy crooked, but over an 8 foot span it is level. This means that I cannot tile the floor, it has hills in it. Also, they cheap out on the insulation and when you complain they will try to sell you "better" insulation.

Just know going in, they will not be happy you are calling if you have ANY trouble. If you have questions about anything they did, they will charge you for their time.

I am very unhappy with them and wouldn't suggest building with them.

Schlabach built our house. They are amish builders that does very good work.

James Schlabach

9756 TR 554

Holmesville, Oh 44633

Voicemail 330 279-3409

James Schlabach will call you back. He and his brother Roy are the builders. They are amish so dont expect fast call back

Edited by HAOLE

Parents have been looking at getting a custom house built, best advice they have gotten, is just buy the plans for a house that you like, and then go hirer one of the builders out of amish country, and you'll more than get the quality you're looking for.

like as posted above ^ right out of amish country

The amish are some of the best carpenters/homebuilders in the country. Obviously very honest as well.

I'm also a big fan of their "Shunning" technique, which can be used anywhere from ex-girlfriends to family members.

The amish are some of the best carpenters/homebuilders in the country. Obviously very honest as well.

I'm also a big fan of their "Shunning" technique, which can be used anywhere from ex-girlfriends to family members.

We have several Amish crews here in the Fort. Honestly, they are no better than the mexican crews that build houses. Same quality and speed. They provide alot of the contract work to your average cookie cutter house builders.

We have almost decided that we will use our previous home builder (Granite Ridge) again. Thanks everyone for you opinions and experiences.

I've had many contractors say Wayne Homes is one that you won't have problems with. We built with them and the only complaint was not their problem, but a known problem with Lennox heat pumps which we got resolved easily.

2.5yrs later everything is still just like new, no squeaks, leaks, or problems with settling.

If you are looking for a cookie cutter house, then I have no answer for you. If you are looking to build a house to a specific lot, then let me know, I can help you. I can either design it myself or I can let my old boss take over this project, I think he's near the best in Columbus (Residential Designed Solutions), and he knows contractors that can build this house for you. The thing about going to my old boss would be the cost, it would be very expensive. I have designed custom homes for about 3 years with my old boss and some side jobs as well. I have other experience in residential as well, I don't need to bore you with my experience. Just let me know, if not good luck on your adventure. Please keep us posted.

I've had many contractors say Wayne Homes is one that you won't have problems with. We built with them and the only complaint was not their problem, but a known problem with Lennox heat pumps which we got resolved easily.

2.5yrs later everything is still just like new, no squeaks, leaks, or problems with settling.

I dont care for Wayne homes stock designs, they look a little dated to me.

I dont care for Wayne homes stock designs, they look a little dated to me.

I agree, but I really hate pretty much all newer styles myself. They have updated a lot of models to what you see in newer developments as well.