Hot damn, this is my kind of garage..

Farkas

im actually going to email him and ask him what the total costs he had invested for personal reference. There is no way possible that there is 1/2 mill invest at the very top i'd say 250k.

I would bet you could build this same set up as a free standing unit (minus the high dollar cabinets, tv's and applicance) and build the same thing on a budget for 80-100k.

He stated in the thread he's was planning on 225K but ended up being closer to 250k.

I originally thought it would come in about $225K.. It's going to be closer to $250K when we get it wrapped up. We've upgraded quite a few items on the fly and some things were simply more expensive (or weren't on my radar) than I originally estimated.

That ^^ is not inclusive of the Moduline cabinets, electronics, furnishings, tools/lifts.

As I've said, not cheap, but it's a lifetime buy and a lot cheaper than flipping houses to get a 2700+ square foot (1600 condo + 1100 house) garage.

My dad's been planning this exact same concept for years now. He's just waiting a few more years for retirement before he starts. His living quarters will be sealed off though. No need to heat the neighborhood.

He's also single, so that helps.

I would do this as well. I would make the part that he has open and put huge glass windows from the floor to the ceiling on the top floor.

That's beautiful and awesome, but I'd have 2 concerns:

- Heating/Cooling (as everyone mentioned). Not just the cost, but having your living room get the heat / freeze every time you open the garage door.

- The smell. Exhaust fumes, oil/fuel/grease smells, etc. There is a reason you don't heat your garage using the same heating/cooling system as your house. You home will smell like a garage (not a totally bad thing, but not something you want 24/7...especially when everything you own, including you, smells like that). I'm sure with the large air space it isn't as big of a concern as a smaller garage, but I would guess it could still be an issue.