Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 vs Dodge Durango R/T or 5.9

cinergi

A 59er. The 1998 Grand Cherokee with the 5.9L was the fastest SUV until the SRT-8 model came out. They have a very cult fallowing in the Jeep community, esp the Grand Cherokee guys. I don't know much about the Durango other than I liked them. Durango's are bigger (3rd row seating) and weight more, so they will probably get a little less mpg. Also the Durango is built off the Dakota, so they are known to have ball joint problems and it will ride more like a truck with the leafs in the rear.

My buddys got one, was running 14.8 on a cutout and an air filter with 130k miles. We put a cam in it and an SCT tune, haven't had a chance to hit the strip yet, but they are bad ass rides. I was always under the impression the ZJ was the fastest of the the 5.9s.

I like the Jeep. However, as much as you may like the 5.9, the newer 4.7L motors has the same performance with less weight, and less liters. I know the 5.9L tend to come at a premium.

On a separate note, my rav is quicker. :D

Without looking at specific specs, I'm pretty sure the Typhoon was quicker. So was the LM002....both sold many years before the 5.9L GC. Cayenne Turbo, GC SRT-8, TBSS, X5 M and X6 M, AMG M-Class, and I'm sure several others are quicker as well.

Jeep GC is the way to go. The 4.7 HO motor that the 2002-04 JGC have is performance wise pretty much the same as the 9er but newer and look better IMOwith the 5.9 having more mods available. The Durango is way more heavy than the GC in any case...

4.7HO is just as fast or faster. But the ZJ is a solid, well supported platform as is the 5.9L Magnum motor. I've driven a stock 4.7HO and it felt as fast as the 5.9. I prefer the ZJ platform though, it's a preference thing. However I never have, and probably never will own either of them.

Thanks for the info th

us far. I am leaning more towards the jeep as I don't quite need the extra space or weight of the Durango. Not a huge Chrysler fan myself, but the vehicle seems to fit the needs better than anything else I can think of. I was considering a newer 4.7, but figured the older would be cheaper to insure in my case. I will investigate mpg 5.9 vs 4.7 and probably make a decision from there. I don't need the srt8 at all for any reason, but they are super nice.

Without looking at specific specs, I'm pretty sure the Typhoon was quicker. So was the LM002....both sold many years before the 5.9L GC. Cayenne Turbo, GC SRT-8, TBSS, X5 M and X6 M, AMG M-Class, and I'm sure several others are quicker as well.

he was referring to Jeeps in general not the SUV market as a whole.

LM002 did 0-60 in 7.8 seconds, http://www.lambocars.com/archive/lm/lm002s.htm

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (5.9L) 0-60 6.8 1/4 mile 15.2 (MotorTrend Jan 98)

The Typhoon however was much faster.

My mom has an 04 GC overland 4.7 HO thing has plenty of tq. Only has 48k miles on it so haven't experienced any issues with it yet.

I always like the 5.9 GCs so I say go for that.

Dave - any idea what mileage we could see any timing chain or head gasket issues or is it just whenever it happens?

My father used to have several of the JGC Overland models. They are nice and never gave him many issues. He maintains a vehicle very well, but he drives many miles and isn't the nicest to them so I know the reliability is there.

My father used to have several of the JGC Overland models. They are nice and never gave him many issues. He maintains a vehicle very well, but he drives many miles and isn't the nicest to them so I know the reliability is there.

Must be because my mom babies the shit out of it and never floors it. When I drive it I give it a good beating.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1607245248.html

It's the color I like, too. I think he's dreaming on price, though.

I think my buddy paid $5k for his with 110k miles. Those parts don't make it worth $4500 more. Given condition and parts, maybe its worth $6k-$6.5, personally I'd let that truck go. You don't offer people $4000 of their asking price even if the price is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I was considering a newer 4.7, but figured the older would be cheaper to insure in my case.

I had an 93 ZJ with the 5.2L that was more expensive to insure than my 2001 WJ. Ended up being about $60 cheapr per year for me.

Sorry, I ment the fastest Jeep ever made until the SRT-8. But it was the fastest SUV the year it came out in 1998.

I have a newer durango with the 5.7 hemi and for what it is that thing is fast. I've owned some really fast cars over the years and i definately wouldnt call it a race car but for a pretty big suv it moves. All I really know about the older durangos is that they tended to eat trannys. You may want to look at the 04-up durangos with the hemi. I can tell you to expect single digit gas mileage around town so daily driving any of these is not going to be cheap. Its great to be at a stop light on my way home from the grocery and murder some kid in a fart can honda. The look on their face as they just got smoked by a grocery getter suv is oddly fulfilling.