Washing the engine?

KStang3.8

My ricer friend (who now owns a pimped SRT4) used to take his civic to clean off the engine and intakes and all that. make it look shiny, like civic ricers like to do.

it was on main street near summit...or broad street near summit? at a gas station? anyone know the place i'm talking about, or a place similiar, or just a place where i can put some stuff on to clean out my dirty engine bay?

Edited by KStang3.8

Summit and Broad Carwash

It should come out as a foam

Let it sit on engine bay for a couple min

Rinse it off

Motor can’t be hot

Avoid alternator

Avoid cold air intake

anyone know about this stuff? is it safe? gonna hurt my car?

Edited by KStang3.8

There's been a couple of threads on here in the past on this topic.

You don't need anything special and can do it right in your driveway

My method:

Get engine warm but not hot

soak with Simple green and let sit for 5 minutes.

Take the end off of your hose and rinse with no pressure avoiding alternator and CAI if you have one. (best to wrap them in plastic first).

If stubborn areas remain re-soak with cleaner and aggitate with brush or cloth of your choosing to get the dirt loose.

Rinse again.

My method:

Take the end off of your hose and rinse with no pressure avoiding alternator and CAI if you have one. (best to wrap them in plastic first).

If stubborn areas remain re-soak with cleaner and aggitate with brush or cloth of your choosing to get the dirt loose.

Rinse again.

That's the same method i use, whenever i get off my lazy ass and actually clean it.

My method:

Rinse again.

+1

Simple green is great stuff

the car wash you talking it about is right behind a sunoco on the corner of broad and summit. i take my cars down there and wash the engine bay all the time. although im kinda with everyone else on using simple green because, it seems like its hit or miss anymore at that car wash place, as to weather or not the engine cleaner even works (meaning some times its out of it, or it just doesnt spray right) and of course it can get kinda costly at those places.

my only other word of advice is, if you have anything that you have painted (I.E., intake manifolds, or anything else that gets pretty warm) dont get the motor hot as it will mess the paint up lol.

I also use the Simple Green method, though I always start with a cold motor.

After that, I use the nozzle attachment on the air compressor to dry the engine off, then run the car to operating temperature to evaporate any water that I wasn't able to get.

Works like a charm every time.

My method:

Rinse again.

This worked great. The simple green really did a good job. Made under the hood look so much newer and cleaner. i appreciate the advice!!

My method:

Rinse again.

Do you leave the car running through out the whole treatment or only at the beginning to get it warm then shutoff?

On my mustang, i had shut the car off about 15 minutes before i started. The simple green worked great, but it wasn't that dirty in the first place.

On the Gran Am, i drove the car to the gas station and back (about 4 minutes), shut the car off, then opened the hood up and everything was hot to the touch. i waited about 10 minutes and it was still quite warm, so much so that there was cleaner evaporating off of everything. The car was filthy, like half a centimeter thick of black gunk on everything, and i could tell that the warmth helped me to scrub it off.

So i guess the answer to your question is, i definitely wouldn't leave the car on, however, it is definitely nice to have it pretty warm.