School me on the Dodge Rams

cinergi

I've read through a bit online, but I guess I still don't quite get the break down. I guess I could join a forum, but thought I would see if someone on here would be so kind to help out. I'd ask Scotty, but we know how long that would take.

In my quest for my next DD, I am between a JGC or a Ram truck.

Anyone know what year Scotty's is? I am probably interested in 4wd crew cab models between 00 and 05.

Thanks in advance!!

I've DD'ed an 01, 04, and currently an 06.

01 ext cab 4x4 5.9

04 reg cab 4x4 4.7

06 4 dr 4x4 5.7

Never had a single issue with any of them. At all.

Towing? Go with 5.9 or Hemi.

MPG? You don't gain ANY MPG with a 4.7.

Room? Go with a newer 4-door, not just an ext cab.

Post up any specific questions.

I have a 2000 with a 5.9 and 108,000 miles

So far since I have owned it in Sept 2009

Steering box is shot

had multiple spots of sheetmetal replaced on the doors and fenders

Tranny is starting to have issues in OD

Distributor cracked causing it to not start even if it was just humid out

I will rarely if ever do towing I would just need the bed for hauling. Don't want to give up 4wd, so I don't want 2wd. The extended cab or 4 door would be needed for certain. Reliability would be my paramount concern and it would be a DD that would see anywhere from 20-60 miles per day on average.

Anyone know what year Scotty's is?

Buy his so he will get a Raptor so I can ride around in it... I don't even know if he's even though of selling it, but I want him to buy a Raptor. :bangbang:

Wish he was here to go to Winking Lizards tonight. :( I'll drink one for ya bro, stay safe over there!

If you get a Ram, you should get one with a Cummins.

Your wrong on that, unless your towing you should get a cummins. Yes I drives cummins trucks daily and get 20+mpg but you have A LOT higher maintance costs and higher insurance. And if your getting a Dodge you need a six speed or built Tranny- I prefer suncoast. Unlikely to find a decent six speed for sale. Then on top of all that add 6000 dollars to the price just for the diesel engine.

This has opened a whole other tangent. I am not at all opposed to diesel. I confess I do not know much of the Ford truck line up either. I have always been a "car" guy with the exception of a few SUVs over the years.

This has opened a whole other tangent. I am not at all opposed to diesel. I confess I do not know much of the Ford truck line up either. I have always been a "car" guy with the exception of a few SUVs over the years.

If you get a truck you can't go wrong with a diesel both the dodges and ford diesel have weak transmissions. I haven't owned a cummins but they are like the sbc of diesels my powerstroke has 270k miles and I haven't had to due to much other then a sensor and get my trans rebuilt, also got 19mpg pulling a trailer back from NC. Best thing to say is research and go out and test drive to see wich one you like better.

I believe Scotty's is a 2000. I could be wrong though. How much are you looking to spend Greg? Pretty much any vehicle is going to have its strong/weak points. With the mileage you are looking at driving, you may want to look into a Silverado or F150. The Dodge will get the worst gas mileage of the 3.

Your wrong on that, unless your towing you should get a cummins. Yes I drives cummins trucks daily and get 20+mpg but you have A LOT higher maintance costs and higher insurance. And if your getting a Dodge you need a six speed or built Tranny- I prefer suncoast. Unlikely to find a decent six speed for sale. Then on top of all that add 6000 dollars to the price just for the diesel engine.

I got one, too and had to do nothing to it.