90 F250 steering

Benny

Ive got a 1990 F250 2wd 5 spd. I can move the steering wheel about 6 inches back and forth before the wheels start to move. It doesn't matter if I'm moving or sitting or on or off. My dad looked at the front suspension while I was turning the wheel and he said he didn't think it was that. Could it be the steering box? I know that older fords sometimes have a wheel that moves a little more then others. If it is the box are they hard to replace?

Guest Removed
fire it up, and move the wheel back and forth...watch the bottom of the steering box. those are bad about the lower bearing having play. and no matter how you tighten it, you will always have some minor play in the steering wheel. also check the steering shaft aswell. i have owner several ford turck from 70 up to mid 90's...they all do it. you might call steer and gear on james..they may have a modded box to drop in it to clear alot of it up

My '96 F250 has play in it, my friends '86 F150 has it, all other ones I've driven had a little. I don't think I've ever driven a 10+ year old F-series that didn't have some play in it. But 6inches sounds excessive.

I'd check the pitman and idler anyways, it's free to inspect and pack them full of grease if they are greaseable.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advise guys. I'm not thinking its the box box because when I grab the steering shaft in the engine compartment I can move it by hand. All the play seems to be in the shaft from the steering wheel down to where the shaft hits the box. There is the small shaft that come outa the box and it doesn't move like the shaft. So do I need to replace the whole shaft or the knuckle that is back by the firewall or maybe from the connection to the box back. The connection at the box has a sleeve over it and when I push it down there seems to be alot of grease in it.