Converting Glock 19 to .45?

hpfiend

Hey all-

I was wondering what would be involved, if possible- to change my glock to a a .45 from 9mm? Right now I am thinking a new barrel, magazine, and somehow opening up the hole in the slide part? Will that cost as much as a new gun?

I originally bought it in 9mm as my wife was intimidated by the recoil of the 45.. but she never shoots it anyhow and I am intrigued with the one shot ballistic shock of the .45 for self defense purposes... I don't remember for sure now but I don't think she had problems with holding it too loose and not cycling the action with the one we were shooting- I just think she thought it was uncomfortable.

I have hornady TAP hollowpoints and am a decent shot (under non-duress situations). Am I being paranoid?

I'm not sure modifying a gun in that manner (especially that you intend to use for self defense) is such a good idea. I know certain glocks are convertible DOWN in caliber, but you should really buy a factory .45 before you go drilling and milling your 9mm.

Google is your friend.

P.S. A person isn't going to know whether they've been shot with a 9mm or a .45. Get some modern self defense ammo, put your shots where they need to be, and they won't know the difference. .45 might be bigger, but it's also traveling a lot slower.

Thanks that was my concern!--- I have some hornady TAP and some other winchester self defense ammo that cinergi recommended to me when he was at blackwing that seem to fire a little better than the target rounds I normally play with. I have them set up alternating in my high-cap magazine. They definitely look meaner!

damn! How did you capture those? Did you fire them into jello or something like on csi?

Do all hollowpoints spread like that upon hitting anything semi-solid?

Does HST stand for hydrashock? I wanted to get those but blackwing didn't have them in stock-

speaking of which it took me about 8 months lately just to find a 100 round box of 9mm 115gr winchesters for target practice! insane!

damn! How did you capture those? Did you fire them into jello or something like on csi?

Do all hollowpoints spread like that upon hitting anything semi-solid?

Does HST stand for hydrashock? I wanted to get those but blackwing didn't have them in stock-

speaking of which it took me about 8 months lately just to find a 100 round box of 9mm 115gr winchesters for target practice! insane!

Those aren't mine; just some pic I nabbed off Google. They were shot into ballistic gel, which if it's calibrated correctly, should simulate human flesh.

Not all hollowpoints spread out like that. HST's flare out like that because they're pretty badass. Winchester Ranger-T's do something similar, but they've got little "talons" on them that looks like they'd do some major organ damage. Speer GoldDots flare out similar to the HST's. Everything else is sub-par in my opinion. The older shit tends to just bunch up and mushroom a bit.

HST's are not Hydrashocks. I see it posted as such on this board an awful lot, but that's misinformation. Hydrashocks are old tech and don't really hold a candle to modern day hollowpoints. They were good back in their day, and I'm sure that's why they still carry a good name; but HST's kick their ass.

Ammo is also getting much easier to find. The panic is wearing off.

You can't even just swap slides. You're looking at several custom parts that aren't going to be real cheap, if even possible. And still left with getting a magazine to fit in the 19 frame that'll feed 45ACP.

I suggest::

- Sell the 19 and buy a 45ACP variant.

- Find someone with a 45ACP variant that wants to trade. It does happen.

Or the best for your situation: Keep the 19 and enjoy the hell out of it and the easier to find and cheaper to purchase ammo.:D