Polishing pads

Buck531

I'm looking to get some 7" velcro polishing pads for my high speed sander. I'm not sure what to get. My wife's car has swirl marks up the ass and crap deep into the paint that hand polishing or clay bar won't get to. I'm just not sure what density? of the pad I should get.

I've looked online and see a ton of different places to get them from. Anyone have anyone in particular that's decent?

Also, the polisher says 7" on it. Does that mean I need to get exactly a 7" pad or get an 8" so it overlaps some on the side?

btw, I have a full set of Zaino I was planning on using too. the swirl mark remover, z2, etc.

Have you ever polished a car before?

Yep, but not with a high speed. I know what needs to be done, I'm just looking for the right pad(s) to get. What better way to test than my wife's 99 130k mile Buick.

Would you care to answer the question ?

Size of the pad depends on the size of the baking plate....but you can change out the backing plate also.

My pads of choice are Lake Country. I genearlly don't use anything bigger than 6" because it allows me to use them on both the rotary and the orbital. They make the foam for most of the big on-line retailers which is nice because color and cut association is pretty consistant. They have a few different designs but it basically boils down to user preference and which gimiky thing will sell the best. Genearlly you'll want some of their Orange cutting pads, White polishing pads and grey/black finishing pads. There are levels inbetween also but these 3 are the basic staples that you want at your disposal.

GM paint is generally pretty hard so you might think about picking up some light cut wool while you're at it to make your life easier. Again Lake country has a great light cut wool pad (purple) that is fairly safe to use when compared to traditional twisted wool pads for heavy cutting. The purple wool pads actually run at a cooler temp than cutting foam will. Another light cut wool I like is Micro-Surface's Black lambs wool pads....but they're harder to source and genearlly means ordering from a second source so the purple Lake country jobbies should work for you.

...and while I'm at it if the Z-PC is the only abrasive polish you've got your also in for a long haul there. It's a great mid-cut and does OK on a rotary but tends to flash / dry out pretty quick with heat. Meguiars has a couple of new abrasives that cut really well and finish decent at the same time. M105 for heavy cut M205 for finishing work.

Careful with the speed on the High speed buffer. Nothing more than about 1500rpm while you're learning. Better to error on the side of caution and do the work 2-3 times than burn through something and have to paint it. Working on hard-ass GM paint is also a nice cushion to have.

Andy

• 1 month later...
I looking into getting a nice setup to polish up the VW and Audi and wondered what you might have me look at. I don't have a ton of cash to toss into this, but I want something that will do what I need it to do. Maybe if you are to upgrade your stuff I get yours for cheap? ;) Also where in Lewis Center are you since I also live in Lewis Center.

I usually go to a shop off of Sinclair between Morse and 161 but the name of the place escapes me right now.

sinclair is the road the alrosa is on correct? How far down from the alrosa is it and is it on the right or left traveling from morse to 161?

sinclair is the road the alrosa is on correct? How far down from the alrosa is it and is it on the right or left traveling from morse to 161?

Correct. Driving from morse towards 161 it's on the Left just after E. Lincoln. Been a couple years since I've been up there but I'd have to imagine it's still there. Got a backing plate for my rotary and some 3M pads there the last time I was in.