Apple sucks huh?

SpaceGhost

Just bought a Mac Mini (refurbished, 2.26Ghz 2GB, 9400M) from the Apple Website for my mom. $535 shipped. It does everything she wants minus video conferencing, but I have a Web Cam on the way for that. She couldn't be happier. Me too because once she learns the differences between the OSs I will not get calls to fix something. I'm taking her to the Apple store here in a Saturday or two to take the free beginners course on how to use a Mac. I'm sure I will pick up a thing or two also even though I have used a few for a couple of years. Just another thing Apple offers. My dad is buying a Macbook and is really excited because he is tired of fighting with his PC.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Macs didn't break. For how much they cost for the same hardware everyone else is using, they sure as hell shouldn't.

My dumbass brother just spent $1800 on a freaking Macbook Pro. You can buy the same spec Dell (doing just a quick 1 minute build on their website) for about $700 less. For $700, you can buy a decent desktop to go along with that laptop.

I had my External superdrive die with a disk in it, I went to the apple store, they opened the drive, got my DVD out and handed me a new drive free. In an out in 10 minutes. Everyone has failures, however with all the stuff I have bought in the past few years the external Superdrive is the only thing I have had go bad. I have traded in my iPhone a few times, the plastic case cracks, I take it in and I get a replacement. I actually like that, I beat the outside of the phone pretty good with scratches and stuff.

And then you spend hours trying to get everything to work.:lol:

You must really suck with PC's. Hours to work? Hook up and go, that's about it. I mean, I'm sure your little desktop setup is somehow much more difficult to get going than my 4 monitor, 5.1 surround, laser printer, ink-jet with scanner, SATA DVD burner, IDE DVD burner, Blu-ray burner, whole house wired / wireless networked setup (with running 2 media servers to service my PS3) - none of which was difficult. Running two XP work laptops, Vista Laptop, and my Windows 7 desktop.

The software items that have been difficult to get running (but do now) has been stuff you can't even get to run AT ALL on a Mac (unless you run one of your Windows Emulators...and even then, I'm not fully sure it would work).

Macs are a waste of money.

The software items that have been difficult to get running (but do now) has been stuff you can't even get to run AT ALL on a Mac (unless you run one of your Windows Emulators...and even then, I'm not fully sure it would work).

Every mac is shipped with bootcamp, it allows you to dual boot OSs. So anything you are using with windows will work on a mac, You choose at boot up which OS you want to use. No "emulator". Everyone uses Intel chips now. I choose the emulator because I don't need to use any software with windows, I just need IE to connect to web work related stuff that only will work with IE. My wife is the same way, she can't even use the Windows 7 we have, she is stuck with XP because the hospital's system will not support windows 7 yet.

It sucks that everything that is "just easier" is no longer easier. Sad that you have to dual boot just to maintain the same functionality of a PC.

Really, you think software written for Windows should just work in OSX or vice vera? I know people that dual boot their Hackintosh. Or dual boot their Linux/Windows boxes.

I like that I just need to start a program that starts windows for the 10 minutes of work I need windows for, then go back to OSX for the rest of my work.

BTW the Apple site just went live with the Pre-order of the iPad. I know you guys love that iPad. :D Now the real hate can start. :bangbang:

I might get an iPad for my kid and us to play on, the OS is so simple, my daughter can open my iPhone, find her videos, games and music, and play them all on her own. She just turned 3 on Monday, she has been using my iPhone for almost a year. The iPad works the same way so she will be able to use it. This way I can get her movies, flashcard games, and music off my phone.

Edited by Benjamin

Every mac is shipped with bootcamp, it allows you to dual boot OSs. So anything you are using with windows will work on a mac, You choose at boot up which OS you want to use. No "emulator". Everyone uses Intel chips now. I choose the emulator because I don't need to use any software with windows, I just need IE to connect to web work related stuff that only will work with IE. My wife is the same way, she can't even use the Windows 7 we have, she is stuck with XP because the hospital's system will not support windows 7 yet.

If you are so in love with OSX, why not just build a Hackintosh and save a ton of money?

If you are so in love with OSX, why not just build a Hackintosh and save a ton of money?

Why are you so in love with windows? I don't love it, I just prefer it. I bought a mac for the reason of I don't want to "HACK" or fuck with something. I want my updates to just install. I just want to turn the thing on and use it, and turn it off. I have the money Joe, I value my time more. Also I don't see too many laptop hachintosh's that weigh less than 3 lbs, also my Mom's Mac Mini is $500, I don't see saving a "ton" of money on a $500 desktop computer. And before you say "but you could have a twenty bazillion quad core processor computer for $500." My mom doesn't need a ultra fast computer, neither do I or my wife. The most intensive thing I do on a computer is edit pics. I could care less how many Gigaflops I can attain.

The other thing I have noticed is, used macs hold their value. I see many people try to sell their old PC here for $100-$200. I was looking on e-bay for my mom's Mac Mini. The 1.86Ghz with 1GB of ram and no 9400M were going for around $500 on e-bay. I was lucky and got on the apple refurbished site and got her a current model Mac Mini for the same price. So when I upgrade, I am confident I can sell my used mac for a good amount of cash.

If you click here: Apple Refurb you will notice the Mac Mini is not offered. They sell out quickly.

Joe, Why buy an Audi? Why not buy a Ford Focus and save a "ton" of money?

I'm not trying to get you to buy a Mac, I just don't get the hatred for Mac products from people. TOAMTO, TAMATO. Especially when Apple is an American Company.

so Ben, if Mac's are so great, why is it not the industry standard for businesses (and don't give me the crap that PC's are cheaper)

MAC's have their niche... but that niche is slowly dying because the PC can do the same thing as the MAC for half the price.

Also, dual boot or not, you are still running windows.... and for the price difference and bang for the buck, I'd rather buy a PC as would most of America... leave Apple to selling iPods and iPhones and let the other companies do what they are good at. :D

so Ben, if Mac's are so great, why is it not the industry standard for businesses (and don't give me the crap that PC's are cheaper)

MAC's have their niche... but that niche is slowly dying because the PC can do the same thing as the MAC for half the price.

Also, dual boot or not, you are still running windows.... and for the price difference and bang for the buck, I'd rather buy a PC as would most of America... leave Apple to selling iPods and iPhones and let the other companies do what they are good at. :D

Mac's are not the industry standard because Windows can be loaded on almost any machine. Apple controls all their hardware. Again I prefer Apple over windows, hell if I started learning Linux I bet I would prefer that too.

Again my mom's MacMini is very affordable. Mac's are not all high end.

I disagree with your last statement, I think Apple does a fantastic job at their products.

It's cool you like PCs. It's what you prefer. Josh I like OSX for the little things that set it apart from Windows. Things like "gestures" on my track pad. It makes it easier to use a laptop.

I love the argument that goes along with Macs also that it immediately changes my political and social views too. :D

I love the argument that goes along with Macs also that it immediately changes my political and social views too. :D

Idk I just see it as "why reinvent the wheel?". I mean you said it yourself, the hardware isn't cheap, its proprietary, has high residual value etc.

I dont see the point in spending $xxxx on a Mac, when I could go out and purchase used PC hardware, load it down with a decent proc, tons of RAM, and a copy of CS. I could easily escape under the $1k mark. I could have a comparable if not better machine. Thats my personal view.

Thing i hate about most macs, they dont keep up with the current processors out in windows machines. I said most because i have the i7 imac, so i am hip in both windows and mac. lol

Thing i hate about most macs, they dont keep up with the current processors out in windows machines. I said most because i have the i7 imac, so i am hip in both windows and mac. lol

What? Macs debut Intel's newest chips. Apple has a very close relationship to Intel now. here is an example:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/10/new-hexacore-mac-pros-next-tuesday/

Some confusion has arisen over what chips Apple will use in its next-generation Mac Pro. Hardmac has been keeping a close eye on Mac Pro developments, and has been talking up Intel's hexacore Core i7-980X as the next chip for the Mac Pro as cited in today's ZDNet report. That processor is reportedly scheduled to be launched next Tuesday, coinciding with rumors of Apple's Mac Pro refresh.

Apple, however, has typically used server-branded Xeon chips in its Mac Pro line, and Intel is also expected to debut a number of new Xeon 5600-series chips on that day. In particular, the Xeon X5680 rumored for release on Tuesday is very similar in many respects to the Core i7-980X and could also be a candidate for inclusion in the Mac Pro.

the new Mac Pro is expected to be released very soon. Do you have a Hexacore I7?

And as for Intel and Apple working closely, google "light peak" USB X.0 What?

Ok but who is going to buy that. The market for the pro is decreasing. You cannot disagree that the laptops and most of the desktop imacs except mine, hehe, are lagging in the chips.

It's not just the Mac Pro, the Apple laptops are rumored to be first to carry the first mobile processors of that line too. It's a scheduling thing, Mac sends the machines to be manufactured each year.

What I think you meant to say was Mac doesn't offer a range of processors in their products. This is true, they use one type until the next refresh.

It's not just the Mac Pro, the Apple laptops are rumored to be first to carry the first mobile processors of that line too. It's a scheduling thing, Mac sends the machines to be manufactured each year.

What I think you meant to say was Mac doesn't offer a range of processors in their products. This is true, they use one type until the next refresh.

Ill bet you 5 bucks that they will not offer more than an i5M in the 15" unless you opt for the i7M which would be a add on from the factroy like my imac i7, but the 13inch will get the i3.

And they are always behind though. It makes it hard to buy an apple sometimes, because the time they get to the same procs are the windows machines, they are ready to refresh.

Ill bet you 5 bucks that they will not offer more than an i5M in the 15" unless you opt for the i7M which would be a add on from the factroy like my imac i7, but the 13inch will get the i3.

And they are always behind though. It makes it hard to buy an apple sometimes, because the time they get to the same procs are the windows machines, they are ready to refresh.

Again it's a scheduling thing, if the newest mobile processors are not ready, Mac will use those. They are "Current" chips.

Ah. There we go. So, yea i always tell people to just wait around this time and in later in the year. New macs come out and no one wants a two day old mac or better yet a 16 day old mac and cant return it when the new ones just came out. That sucks

You must really suck with PC's. Hours to work? Hook up and go, that's about it. I mean, I'm sure your little desktop setup is somehow much more difficult to get going than my 4 monitor, 5.1 surround, laser printer, ink-jet with scanner, SATA DVD burner, IDE DVD burner, Blu-ray burner, whole house wired / wireless networked setup (with running 2 media servers to service my PS3) - none of which was difficult. Running two XP work laptops, Vista Laptop, and my Windows 7 desktop.

So I guess that is the computer geek way of saying "my penis is larger than yours"?

Ok? So whats your point. My imac does all that. And i bet its a helluva cleaner setup then yours?

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/Vette_50_th/IMG_0393.jpg

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss190/Vette_50_th/IMG_0394.jpg

I dont want to come off as a fanboy for either. But when others try to tell me one is better than the other, i say nay. I have both, i like both. Both have their goals and better traits like all things.