Edumacate me on late 60's, early 70's Datsun 510

oh8sti

I really like these cars and have since I first saw one with an SR20 swap. Thinking of getting one to have fun with and drive daily. When looking, is there certain things that are common problems with these cars? Rust spots ect. I want one that is already swapped, but as always I'm hesitant cause you never know the quality of work. I'll add some pics of some cool ones I found.

Really just rust behind front wheel frame rail (like any old nissan) and rust on the shock tower are 2 major spots. Might wanna think about looking at KA swapped 510's as well. The KA does very well with boost, eventhough it's a "truck" engine.

not practical for someone of your skills and in your situation

/thread

It's a toy car, they are never practical, you of all people know that! I have others cars I can drive if this one goes poop.

I know for a fact I would go out west for it, that isn't the issue.

.... Waiting for Farkas to chime in. I know he probly has an opinion.

Really just rust behind front wheel frame rail (like any old nissan) and rust on the shock tower are 2 major spots. Might wanna think about looking at KA swapped 510's as well. The KA does very well with boost, eventhough it's a "truck" engine.

Is it cheaper for a KA swap rather than SR swap?

It's a toy car, they are never practical, you of all people know that!

By "practical" I mean that a car would spend the majority of its time in running condition, not straining the owner's finances with purchase price nor with upkeep, and would be dependable with regular use. All of my vehicles meet those conditions ...... have any of your own vehicles met those conditions since you joined CR? If so, why are you always driving a borrowed car? :rolleyes:

A 40-50 year old import, purchased from 2000+ miles away, with performance swaps, driven by someone who doesn't work on his own cars ....... seriously, Mike, how long do you figure you'd have this before it wasn't running and needed to have time and cash poured into it?

You asked for an education .... get it for free now or else pay a high price for it later.

But I would add that if this is what your heart is set on, go ahead and get it, practical or not.

I just thought it was a cool idea, always liked them, just didn't know much about them. Much like the Toyota Farkas has. I'm not a stranger to working on cars and bikes, I am a stranger to building motors that blow up! That was a learning experience, but doesn't mean I don't know how to wrench. On another note, I do appreciate your concern, I disagree, but nonetheless I was kinda of asking for input. I was mostly asking if people knew about the car, not if I should get it. It's just an idea, probly won't happen, so don't worry!

It depends on how well you can work and wire motors, either motor will need to be custom wired into the car, with mounts, tranny mounts ect just , swapping the old carb cars out to newer efi turbo engines can become a bitch . If you have basic knowledge in doing swaps before then just do alot of reading.

Ouch! Well, I guess the truth hurts. :)

I admit, my stuff seems kinda odd to most .... but I hope what I have is in better taste and better condition than that monstrosity.

Is it cheaper for a KA swap rather than SR swap?

By far. I've boosted both the sohc and the dohc KA's. Just a t3/t4 50 trim (which was the best setup imo). There's not as big a market on the sohc as the dohc. Both can be had for cheap. Check out ka-t.org, really good forum if you go the KA route.

It depends on how well you can work and wire motors, either motor will need to be custom wired into the car, with mounts, tranny mounts ect just , swapping the old carb cars out to newer efi turbo engines can become a bitch . If you have basic knowledge in doing swaps before then just do alot of reading.

my goal would be to buy one already done and spend a pretty penny on it. I honestly dont see myself having the time for a full swap. I'd love to do it though, just a matter of time, not really money.

By far. I've boosted both the sohc and the dohc KA's. Just a t3/t4 50 trim (which was the best setup imo). There's not as big a market on the sohc as the dohc. Both can be had for cheap. Check out ka-t.org, really good forum if you go the KA route.

cool man, ill check that out!