Change is here!!!

HAOLE

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a surgeon kills a patient due to an oversight does the insurance still cover the cost of the procedure (serious question)?

I don't believe so. If you leave the hospital with an infection you didn't come in with, the hospital eats the cost to fix it. If you leave with a sore you didn't come in with, the hospital eats it. Hospitals have to be damn near perfect in their care of people and though that's how we'd all like it to be; it's hard to be perfect. We're human, after all.

yes...:nono:

I don't believe so. If you leave the hospital with an infection you didn't come in with, the hospital eats the cost to fix it. If you leave with a sore you didn't come in with, the hospital eats it. Hospitals have to be damn near perfect in their care of people and though that's how we'd all like it to be; it's hard to be perfect. We're human, after all.

I stand corrected.

you'd be pissed too if you got a pay cut at mcdonalds. and its going to be a lot more than that. the average pediatrician makes $110k per year---take into account the $200k in medical school loans they have to pay off, malpractice, and getting paid less and less each year by medicare. also, they start their career at 30, while others can start building their worth right out of college.

i'm glad you're in favor of the health care bill though. so when you march into my office (or another surgeon) looking for a back surgery, or a joint replacement---guess what i'm going to tell you??

i'm sorry, i don't operate on people with the government plan---its not an emergency, and the surgery is not absolutely necessary for your survival. you can take pain medication, and you'll live. here's the door.

now if you're willing to pay cash, i'll do your surgery for $5k. the american public will suffer greatly, but surgeons are actually intelligent--we're not going to get fucked by the idiots in washington. so no, i won't make $450k, i'll make $800k

regards,

kirk

lol hell ya. I was doing work at my doctors house last week and we were discussing this topic. Doctors aren't stupid, they will work together and accomplish things one way or the other. They're not going to sit back and get fucked.

Think of it this way: We recently spent $3,000,000,000 ($3 billion) on the cash for clunkers program. A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

The government claims 700,000 vehicles were traded in so that's 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption. More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million. We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved.

I'm pretty sure they will do a great job with our health care, though.

Please prove this one. I've got medical bills I can show you where my wife was in and something happened while she was there and our insurance paid for it.

Think of it this way: We recently spent $3,000,000,000 ($3 billion) on the cash for clunkers program. A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

The government claims 700,000 vehicles were traded in so that's 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption. More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million. We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved.

I'm pretty sure they will do a great job with our health care, though.

What is the price on clean air again?

Please prove this one. I've got medical bills I can show you where my wife was in and something happened while she was there and our insurance paid for it.

It's hospital policy. I have access to hard copies, but unfortunately, it's for employees only, so I won't be posting it. I'm not saying that's how it goes 100% of the time, but if it's in the hospitals documentation that she acquired something while she was there (that was preventable), and the insurance company wants to pursue it, then it's on the hospital to cover the cost since it was 'their fault'.

Take it or leave it, that's the way it is.

Was it preventable?

It's hard to say to be honest. She got a infection in her foot , Ya know I'm not 100% sure to be honest. Sadly I've spent way to many nights sleeping in the hospital room with my wife.

If a surgeon kills a patient due to an oversight does the insurance still cover the cost of the procedure (serious question)?

yes. people are human, and if you operate on enough people, a mistake will happen---its just the law of averages. just because a patient dies after a surgery doesn't make it the surgeon's fault. 20% of people will die within 6 months of having a broken hip repaired with surgery---that's a fact that hasn't changed in 25 years of surgical/medical improvements. you can't predict when someone will have a heart attack. not everyone's body follows the anatomy books. sometimes arteries and nerves are not located where they are in 99% of the other population.

some people have compromised/weak immune systems--when you make an incision on them, they are more likely to develop an infection, regardless of how well the surgery was done---does that mean they should not have surgery?? no, you inform them of the risks of surgery, you treat them as if they were one of your family members, and if a complication happens---you treat it.

hospitals don't cover the cost of ACCEPTIBLE complications---those that can happen even under ideal care. if the complication occurred as an oversight of the hospital/nurses or physician, then yes, the hospital will cover the treatment of the complication.

It's hard to say to be honest. She got a infection in her foot , Ya know I'm not 100% sure to be honest. Sadly I've spent way to many nights sleeping in the hospital room with my wife.

diabetics have weak immune systems. they also have decreased sensation in their feet, and are constantly getting foot infections. you honestly think someone in the hospital was responsible for causing an infection in her foot??

seriously??

yes. people are human, and if you operate on enough people, a mistake will happen---its just the law of averages. just because a patient dies after a surgery doesn't make it the surgeon's fault. 20% of people will die within 6 months of having a broken hip repaired with surgery---that's a fact that hasn't changed in 25 years of surgical/medical improvements. you can't predict when someone will have a heart attack. not everyone's body follows the anatomy books. sometimes arteries and nerves are not located where they are in 99% of the other population.

some people have compromised/weak immune systems--when you make an incision on them, they are more likely to develop an infection, regardless of how well the surgery was done---does that mean they should not have surgery?? no, you inform them of the risks of surgery, you treat them as if they were one of your family members, and if a complication happens---you treat it.

hospitals don't cover the cost of ACCEPTIBLE complications---those that can happen even under ideal care. if the complication occurred as an oversight of the hospital/nurses or physician, then yes, the hospital will cover the treatment of the complication.

I mean a mistake as in the doctor makes a preventable mistake due to a brain fart. An infection due to dirty equipment, cutting in the wrong place, etc. Good to hear that if they know its the doctors fault they write it off.

Doesnt insurance cover malpractice or does it really come out of the doctors pockets? Sorry for all the questions. All I know about the medical field is that I have a co-pay and ok benefits through my job.

diabetics have weak immune systems. they also have decreased sensation in their feet, and are constantly getting foot infections. you honestly think someone in the hospital was responsible for causing an infection in her foot??

seriously??

Totally a result of our former health care system, Bro.

I mean a mistake as in the doctor make a preventable mistake due to a brain fart. An infection due to dirty equipment, cutting in the wrong place, etc. Good to hear that if they know its the doctors fault they write it off.

Doesnt insurance cover malpractice or does it really come out of the doctors pockets?

If it's the Dr's fault, then I'm pretty sure his malpractice insurance would cover it, and not the patient's health insurance.

Cutting off the wrong leg is expensive.

seriously??

She got cut while there.