headlight issues.

Skinner

OK so the stock lights on the jeep sucked ass broke down and bought a heavy duty wireharness and a set of aftermarket headlights that take a H4 bulb. Got the Harness in the mail first wired it up (plug and play really) and it saw a nice inprovement with the oem lights. Got the replacement bulbs and housing this weekend and finished it up. Everything works good except when I turn on my brights they will not turn on unless I turn off the lights completely low beams are fine. Also I did not have this problem with the sealed headlights only seeing it with the lights.

here is a diagram of how the harness is.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/TJ_HEADLAMP_RELAY_HARNESS.png

not sure where to start. Any ideas?

removed the upgraded harness from the system and everything works fine

relays are working as well with the harness you can hear them click on and off. Only thing I can think of is maybe the power from the org headlight connection is causing the relay to hang some how but I'm not sure.

• 4 weeks later...

ok had some time and dug a little further.

the connections are all good. I removed he relay for the brights and the low beam works fine I switch to the brights the lights turn off (no relay) switch back to low beams and the turn back on. Tried this with both relays and get the same result. Pulled the low beam relay and when I turn the brights on they come on fine but when I switch back to the low beams the stay on. tested it will both relays and same thing each time. So I know the relays are good the lights are fine without the harness I think it's with the harness itself may be wired up wrong need to find what prong is what on my relays and make sure its wired correctly. Really don't want to break the harness apart if I really don't have too. Any other possible ideas?

not sure where to start. Any ideas?

Who's harness did you buy? Forum member or from an aftermarket retailer like Quadratec or BigOffroad? It really should be plug-n-play with these.

I have the cheap one from eAutoworks ($20 - cheaper but the same Chinese one BO sells) and it worked just fine w/ my 60/100 bulbs. The wiring is a tad small for super high wattage bulbs, but might be worth a try if you end up replacing the harness.

Some of the later posts in this thread address some guys having similar issues, maybe it'll help:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=979486

I have the eAutoworks one as well

I was super anal about making sure the grounds were solid, but other than that I just plugged it in and tucked it out of the way. Did you scrape away some paint around the short ground leads or just run a screw in? I'd have to look at mine again to see where I grounded them, but I remember filing all the paint away from around the ring terminal.

I guess it's possible that it's incorrectly wired inside the loom. I would probably exchange it rather than cut it up if you rule out everything else. It's pretty strange that it works with the lower load of the OEM lights.

I remember there was a thread about it somewhere on NAXJA. I can't recall but it sounded pretty simple to wire it for both with a little modification to the harness. I want to say you need to either add an additional relay or just splice a wire.

This thread may have it, but you might try searching over there.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906034

Fixed found this on NAXJA.

After removing fuse #3 and #4 that controls the unused headlight plug (after installing a wiring harness), you can remove the fog lamp relay located in the distribution panel. You will notice that there are 5 spade type connectors on the relay. If you build a small jumper to by pass the relay, and plug the jumper where plugs 3 & 5 (as labled on the bottom of the relay) would plug into in the panel, you will regain the use of your factory fog lights and the switch! Only minor inconvenience is that the switch will always be hot, so you gotta be sure you shut your fogs off each time you're done with them. Nice thing is that the fogs are now always available, and they will not be affected if you hit the high beams.

works like a charm