1995 Grand Am w/ bad engine HELP

KStang3.8

My girlfriend just found out that her 95 grand am 2 door 3.1 V6 has a bad engine. Took it in and before they were gonna do a bunch of repairs they realized it has a bad rod and needs an all new engine according to the guy. What lead him to discover this is a horrible clicking noise that the car made constantly. He said it would be about 3500 for another engine so we were like shiiiiiiit might as well buy a new car.

Then i got to thinking. Junkyards and craigslist and places like that sell used engines for a few hundred dollars right? She would just need the 3.1 V6 from a 94-98 model.

Can anyone please give me some tips on where to look? what junkyards are there around here? that i could call or go to?

also, what would labor be to pull out the old engine put another engine in?

Thanks for your help.

Is it a 3.1 or a 3100? I am guessing 95 is obd 1.5 and would most likely need a motor from the same year car. I am not positive on this because I am no expert on Grand Am's but I am pretty sure that is the case.

EDIT-It is a 3100 you need.

we did some talking to some people we know...and we decided thats what we're doing. found a camry in great condition for 2500. selling the grand am to the junk yard for as much as we can get.

if anyone on here wants it and can offer more than a junkyard pm me.

i wouldn't. what happens if you put it in and it dont run for shit?

as i thought about it, thats the conclusion i came to. and thats why we're going with the Camry.

I will post it in there tomorrow afternoon, good idea.