J.D. Power and Associates annual dependability rankings are out

Mowgli1647545497

Some surprises. Some not surprising.

But here's one surprise: 7 of the top 10 cars for reliability were built by Ford or GM.

Porsche was the most reliable brand. Then Lincoln at #2. Then in order: Buick, Lexus, Mercury, Toyota, and then Honda.

"All three Ford brands — Ford, Lincoln and Mercury — beat the industry average. But the news wasn't all good for Detroit. At GM, only Cadillac and Buick topped the industry average; its Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Chevrolet and Saab brands still fell below average."

All of this lends credence to the domestics claim they get a bum wrap in product PR.

BTW - this was a 3yr study of 52,000 vehicles from 2007. So it wasnt some small sample, just-off-the-lot bullshit.

Link here:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1135149&icid=autos_1367&GT1=22010

Interesting read.

i cant read that from my phone (its a piece of shit i know lol), so some one awnser me a question, does it say it if they check the same amount of cars from each manufacturer? Cause if not, that might explain why porsche is on top and why companies like chevy are down (as compared to its lesser selling brands anyway)

What makes it a bit confusing is:

1) Ford is 2nd, 5th and 8th

2) VW is 1st, but then they also mention its a poor performer.

3) Toyota is 4th and 6th

4) Honda is 7th and 10th (psh, everyone knows they will last forever :rolleyes:)

There are also a bunch of other factors that go into play. Like what pontiacfreak said, did they take numbers into effect? What about car morons (people that dont take very good care of their cars)? I bet there are a bunch of car morons buying civics compared to car morons buying a 911's. Someone is a lot less likely to forget to change his oil in a porsche compared to a honda.

What about car morons (people that dont take very good care of their cars)? I bet there are a bunch of car morons buying civics compared to car morons buying a 911's. Someone is a lot less likely to forget to change his oil in a porsche compared to a honda.

This.

Thats odd, I thought Porsches were awful DDs, mainly for reliability issues....

It's hard for a car company to have many problems with when there install base is small and most the owners rarely drive the cars.

I seen a 07 lambo recently with 1700 miles on it. People don't drive the higher end names to find the problems.

Kickass - you're mixing up individual models with brand rankings.

Whats even more interesting is that Porsche as a brand is near the top while VW as a brand is near the bottom, or at the bottom.

AJ - I think that means you can chalk that quality difference squarely on the shoulders of the manufacturing workers. Since the designs and many of the components themselves are near identical.

PontiacFreak142 - they mentioned it was a statistically balanced sampling, then the sample criteria were spelled out in the pdf. I'm pretty sure they accounted for volume evenly across the polling. Still, no way to correct the fact that one maker sells thousands of cars while the other sells 10x that. Regardless quality is quality: Honda and Ford production numbers both far outdo Chevy's for example.

Kickass - you're mixing up individual models with brand rankings.

Whats even more interesting is that Porsche as a brand is near the top while VW as a brand is near the bottom, or at the bottom.

Honda and Acura are both made by the same company and built in the same location, so you would expect to see similiar ranks in reliability.

With Porsche and Volkswagen, they might both be made by the same company, but some VW in the US are built in Mexico, where I believe all Porsche's and other VW brands (Audi/Bentley/Lambo etc) are built in Germany/Europe.

What model? I was looking at some JKs this year and ended up settling on my XJ.....

I have a Grand. The main computer died, hydrolic lines for the fan leaked, blower motor for the A/C/heat stopped working, the trap door for A/C/heat stopped working, window regulator broke and driver seat heater stopped working.

I have a Grand. The main computer died, hydrolic lines for the fan leaked, blower motor for the A/C/heat stopped working, the trap door for A/C/heat stopped working, window regulator broke and driver seat heater stopped working.

Honestly most of those are pretty common things to go bad on the WJ's.

If it makes you feel any better, most of those are common problems for GC's.

I am guessing you feel no better.