Lets talk pc's (looking to buy. or maybe have built)

Guest Removed

If you just need a basic PC to surf the web and to run MS Office and want to spend as little as possible..... This would be worth looking at.

Microcenter has refurbished Gateway Quad Core desktops with decent specs for $329.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0326275

I'm tempted to go get one for my wife.

That is a good deal. It will do everything you need and putting XP on it would be easy. you prolly want XP 64bit edition though.

dont get a WD cadaver green drive, they are low power consumption and slow.

it is only a few more seconds on boot up and applications loading. I doubt any normal user would know the difference though.

Dude, Rob.

DO NOT build a computer. Its time consuming and not worth it, especially when you can get a new or used rig for WAY under $500. Performance will be just fine. I can run limewire, talk on skype, AIM, and run Adobe CS3 all on my dell desktop with like 512mb RAM. No need to build some fucking gamer rig when all you are going to do is run the accounting, browse diagrams and get on CR.

Guest Removed
Dude, Rob.

DO NOT build a computer. Its time consuming and not worth it, especially when you can get a new or used rig for WAY under $500. Performance will be just fine. I can run limewire, talk on skype, AIM, and run Adobe CS3 all on my dell desktop with like 512mb RAM. No need to build some fucking gamer rig when all you are going to do is run the accounting, browse diagrams and get on CR.

no, i dont need a gamer rig, but i need something better then what she is using now (would like to get her something as fast, if not faster then mine..but hell i dont even know what i have)

If you can't build it yourself, buy one. Building one is more likely to have issues, and if you can't build it you'll be less likely to be able to fix it. Then you'll be calling whoever built it, waiting for them. Not a good situation for a PC you need for work. One you buy should be more stable.

I don't know if it's been posted and honestly, I don't want to read through the posts, but Microcenter has a bunch of quad core HP's that are referbished for like 350 or something... my mother inlaw bought one a month ago and loves it.

Guest Removed
I don't know if it's been posted and honestly, I don't want to read through the posts, but Microcenter has a bunch of quad core HP's that are refurbished for like 350 or something... my mother inlaw bought one a month ago and loves it.

i'll just have to go to micro center and check one out.

Guest Removed

that what im hoping for..id like to pick up a emachine for around that moneyz....

she might deal with windows 7 if they come with it..(i dont know pc's)

yeah, just seen that...figured there was more then one around here..

thoughts on this unit?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0326331

Looks like a decent unit, will run XP with ease. One thing I have noticed though. XP now has so many patches and updates that a machine which ran an early version of XP will bog down under all the additions. Plus, if you toss a bulky virus scanner on it (McAfee or Norton) with all their extra protections that will bog a machine down even more. That leaves enough room in your budget for one of their $170 23" LCD monitors. A nice big monitor is a must these days regardless of your application. You don't stare at the PC all day, you stare at the monitor.

I'm also a fan of the advice to buy a system. If you have hardware issues you can drop it off at their service desk and it's now their problem. If you have someone build you a system and their are hardware problems you're looking at 2 weeks to send the component back to get replaced or repaired. Also, many people don't take into account software. They just pirate what they need. That works great until you can't download updates, or run into some other problem.

Sure it's easy to snap together a PC but what happens when Rob gets it together and there's a problem. He needs something that he can buy, bring home, plug in and use. If a problem comes up he can take it back and get it fixed under warranty. Then there's the OS cost if he wants to be ligit. Makes more sense to buy a pre-built.

U can use http://www.avast.com for the anti-virus software. It's free and works great. I also use Ad-aware for spy-ware and it's free too. http://www.lavasoft.com

So far the best deal on a pre-built PC is that Gateway for $329. Rob, If you don't mind mail-order buy.com and newegg.com are good places to find deal.

Don't buy untill you go to dell.biz. I got my current compy extremely cheap with a free flatpanel monitor. At that time no one could build what they were offering for the same price with a monitor.