LT1 Corvette - front engine rebuild

zeitgeist57

I'm finally getting around to ripping out the old water pump, hoses, belt, pulleys, and OPTISPARK in order to tune up/eliminate hot-temp hesitation in my '95 Corvette with just over 90k miles on the odo.

In looking at the front of the engine, I think I may have a good oil leak that I need to deal with. Does anyone have the following special GM tools to reseat new seals in the front cover? Please note the following instructions...

"Remove the water-pump drive gear using GM tools J 39243 and J 39092; replace the water-pump drive seal, distributor drive seal, and crankshaft seal in the front engine cover (J 39088, J 39090, J 35468)."

Install the front cover assembly using tool J 39089 on the water-pump driveshaft assembly so as not to mangle the easily damaged seal.

EDIT: Looks like some sort of GM Engine Service Kit? Know a good source for the seals as well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-Engine-Service-Tool-Kit-Camaro-Corvette-Impala-SS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414d6f2ce9QQitemZ280472005865QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

+1 with Rob. I used a socket and mallet to put the new seals in. For one of them I didn't have a socket big enough, so I just tapped it in with the mallet. The hub adapter is the worst. Pulling it went okay with a 3 jaw puller and the pulley still attached to the hub. The installation as far as I can tell is impossible without the right tool. I haven't been able to find one either. We made one by taking a steal bar and running a threading die down it. I think it was maybe 8 inches long. Do not try to hammer the hub adapter back on. Your chances of getting it back on straight are low, and you run the risk of screwing up the thrust bearing on the crank. Let me know if you want some help. I'd be happy to pitch in with whatever I have.

Found this, sounds like a good idea for an installer.

After almost destroying the crank snout hub threads by using the "get longer bolts" method, I fabbed a hub installer. I bought a 3' length of 7/16" SAE Fine threaded rod, B7 (high strength alloy steel) grade, from here: http://www.nutty.com You'll also need a few grade 8 nuts, a few THICK washers, Red Locktite, and anti-seize lube. I used the washers with anti-seize compound initially but I found a roller thrust bearing that I now use -- I don't remember where I got the bearing. The washers work fine, but the bearing works a bit better.

Hub installer parts - http://members.cox.net/gmarengo/Misc/HubInstaller_parts.JPG

Hub installer assembled - http://members.cox.net/gmarengo/Misc/HubInstaller_assembled.JPG

Edited by Richard Cranium
Links didn't post

Guest 614Streets

Nope I have done the Lt1 seals and never had a problem or needed a special tool.

Pulling the Hub is fun though. Plenty of information about pulling the hub online.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/137/l_6b4aa908dbcb4d4093947e715f764cb4.jpg

If you have the timing cover off, why not throw a cam in there :) Be very careful not to tear/damage the bottom section of the oil pan gasket, it meets up with the bottom of the timing cover. It you damage that you will have to replace the oil pan gasket which is a big pain.

Guest Removed
just get rid of the optisjunk while you have it down they make a kit to replace the opti with a cam sensor.... then you can use an lsx pcm and coil on plug ignition

thats a cheap upgrade :rolleyes:

cheap no 100,000 times more reliable and easier to work on yes

Both of the stock optis on my cars (Z28 and Impala) both went 130k plus miles without being touched. I think the reliability issues come from aftermarket units. Now, I will agree, putting it behind the water pump was dumb. Not sure how many rocks you have to smoke before that sounds like a good idea. I'm sure they did it because it was convenient to design.

I ended up getting the cheapie Opti because I'm already running DelTeq...I only need the Opti for the optical signal, no high-voltage spark management. The front of my engine is serioulsy disgusting...I still haven't gotten the water pump off to see what the damage is.

If the Opti was good, I swear I'd remove the rotor, silicone the shit out of the cap and put it back on until it died. Again...my understanding is that Opti's tend to fail on the hot (spark) side, not the optical sensor. I've got a replacement in case the original is compromised by coolant or oil...more to come...

Guest Removed
optis fail in the sensor..its what cause's random miss fire's...helli have had new ones give me that issue...gm had lots of issues with those back then i was there