Staffing Services?

jeffro

Anyone had any experience with these?

I applied with Acliche today to assist me with finding an entry level IT position somewhere. the guy SEEMED confident that he could find me a job somewhere. I'm not desperate for another job as i still have my current one, but i'm sick and tired of working in the food industry.

For those of you have experience them, i have some Qs.

*Are these jobs they assign going to last? ive had my current job for almost 5 years. im looking for that sort of duration again.

*am i going to be "laid off" after the 3 months they get their cut?

*overall experiences.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty excited, but nervous at the same time. I feel i am worth my weight in gold. even though my financial responsibilities are minimal, i cant afford to be employed for 3 more months and be let go for no reason.

Those very same feelings you expressed about your current job in the other thread will be the same feeling you have dealing with a staffing company.

They are the pimp and you will be their ho...You will start out as a bottom bitch...

Not true. I have used several staffing agencies for IT positions. I will not say do not go to Acliche because I have never worked with them. I used Teksystems who placed me very well into Cardinal Health. My first position with them was in the data center monitoring the environment and watching for servers falling then having to call engineers for manual reboots etc.

My advice to you is to do your homework and see what agencies place at fortune 500 companies. They will pay you the most and most every contractor positions are to hire. Robert Half...Teksysems...Apex are 3 that you can use. Go to more than one. Dont put your stock in just one place. They are not loyal to you and they dont owe you anything.

DO NOT use more than 3. Reason being is these companies are all trying to fill the same open position at the same companies (most of the time) and if more than one company submits your resume to the same company for the same positions...they will toss it.

find out what positions they are trying to fill etc. You can always ask what is out there and what they are hunting you for. You will start out at the bottom not because you are a contractor, but because you are 19 and do not have experience so dont get discouraged. Take what you can get and rock it. Show the company they placed you at you are a valuable asset and they will usually end up hiring you permanently. We have contractors making 130k a year...you will see contractors at every level in a big company and that does not mean you will be out and on your butt in 3 months.

Contracting does have its down side...if a company starts to get squeezed they let contractors go first. BUT they pay higher rates than the full timers to compensate. I was a contractor for a couple years and was never let go. Usually big companies let a contractor go because they suck ass.

I've used two different creative staffing agencies for jobs over the past year since leaving the advertising agency I was with; all good experiences. The one thing to ask about is their policy on a company buying you out and hiring you on full time. Some require a percentage of your to-be-hired annual salary and that can bite into your chances of going full time with said company or into your agreed salary.

My first job through one of these places was for two weeks, then I was hired full time. The second was 9-10 months, and now the third is for an intended year with renewal being planned. I'd say give it a go.

I've worked for a couple staffing agencies. The latest one I worked for was Robert Half Technology back in 2005. I was a contractor with them for six months and then I got hired on permanently at my present job. Overall it was a good experience. The one drawback to being a contractor (at least the ones at my job) was that when they let some of the contractors go they didn't tell them until they had left for the day. Then they would send the recruiter in a couple days later to pick up their belongings. Being let go suddenly was one of my biggest fears working for a contracting agency.

With over 15 years in the IT space here in Cbus I have plenty of good staffing and recruiter contacts. If you're at cars and coffee I share some good info.

Tim

looks like my saturday morning plans have changed :)

I work for a recruiting firm, They have an IT division but I know ZERO about IT staffing. I know a guy you could talk with to ask some questions. He's an ex-employee (top performer) just to let you know that I'm not trying to sell you on us. He'd be a good starting point.