Name that motor!!

BlackMess

Your shop installed the heads before verifying that they were in fact correct as far as valve sizing, etc. Therefore I feel it was your fault. The question is how often does this happen and how would anyone really know without removing the heads????

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your shop installed the heads before verifying that they were in fact correct as far as valve sizing, etc. Therefore I feel it was your fault. The question is how often does this happen and how would anyone really know without removing the heads????

It was the only case we have had directly associated with us, I am unsure of any other occurrences at their facility, but to check the valves would be in my opinion a waste of time, as they all look similar to a certain degree, and we trust that we are receiving what we have ordered. To take the time to disassemble each head and check each valve after they come completely assembled would be rather counter productive.

Regards

Not to choose sides at all.. Belive me ....but isn't every engine diff like I've seen two exact motors dynoed in perfect and exact conditions put out diff numbers usually within 15 hp but still.. Otherwise continue

Not to choose sides at all.. Belive me ....but isn't every engine diff like I've seen two exact motors dynoed in perfect and exact conditions put out diff numbers usually within 15 hp but still.. Otherwise continue

Very true.

Although it seems that most ls1 dynos I've seen have higher torque numbers; I can't recall ever seeing anything with similar mods making tq numbers that low. JMO

You're right, its about 20 or more off which is causing the concern. I just hope its not a lower engine issue.

Just thought of this,may be a dumb question but tank had the TQ converter wired ass backwards so it locked up when the brakes were applied and unlocked while driving. The damn thing was pushing through the brakes before I added a relay for the TQ converter wire. Would it be possible to lock the TQ converter through hp tuners with this wiring issue?? Have we found the missing link???

Guest Removed
it was wired ass backwards when IPS dyno'd it,I asked if it was locked and they said it was.....Is it still possble for hptuners to lock the converter with the computer wired backwards??

i gave you a phone number..call him. he can come help.;)

When I initially spoke with you guys about a head/cam package to put me in the 400 range you guys said not a problem and you'd be able to get me there! Well $3,000.00 later I'm still far from that number! When I question the dyno numbers I was assured by the tuner that those were great numbers especially the TQ. I appreciate everyones input on the forum. I sure hope when gearhead tears the motor apart your heads are "as advertised" because it sure would look bad to have another set returned, wouldnt it???

Now that I see what the car has done, I agree with brandon that the car is close to what it is making with mods. I dunno why you decided to go auto in your car with a 4.10 gear. Had you had gone with a t56 and some long tubes then you would be right where you wanted to be. Any reason why you are having the motor torn down?

Guest Removed
Now that I see what the car has done, I agree with brandon that the car is close to what it is making with mods. I dunno why you decided to go auto in your car with a 4.10 gear. Had you had gone with a t56 and some long tubes then you would be right where you wanted to be. Any reason why you are having the motor torn down?

t56= broken diffs

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/100_4129.jpg

Read the first comment on that thread and there is your answer.

notice it has stock heads!

If the cam is not advanced this could be a lot of your trouble. Is there advance ground in the cam ? If not you need to see if it was advanced during installation.

I would look for 4-5* in this aplication. The power is coming in later than I would like on this setup. That cam duration looks a little mild to me, but i am sure it wll have great street manors. I doubt you are having an issue with valves floating as you would see the power dropping off early. Lastly dyno numbers dont mean shit, take the thing to the track and see what the trap speed is then calculate the power using the vehicle weight. You might find your getting all worked up over nothing.

Just as an aside, our dyno reads considerable lower then ALL the dynos in Columbus (check this thread). http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74943 this car made 30 less horsepower on our dyno then a mustang dyno just 24 miles north. But this can go own till eternity, dyno arguments that is.

But hell soon enough you may be able to dyno both on a awd mustang, and awd dyno jet dyno's with IPS ;)

-Regards

Just as an aside, our dyno reads considerable lower then ALL the dynos in Columbus (check this thread). http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74943 this car made 30 less horsepower on our dyno then a mustang dyno just 24 miles north. But this can go own till eternity, dyno arguments that is.

But hell soon enough you may be able to dyno both on a awd mustang, and awd dyno jet dyno's with IPS ;)

-Regards

Out of all the cars that have been on both dyno's, this is the first one that I know of that read lower on yours. I know of a few cars that have read lower on our dyno than yours. Usually pretty close but always lower. I have never posted any of the graphs or the cars on here, nor will I ever. Really, who needs the drama?

Stop with the Rob vs IPS bs. If he tears it down and the cause has nothing to do with IPS you're going to look like an ass. Stop pointing fingers until you know 100% whats going on.

P.S. Get that cam the hell out of there. If you need 1 I plan on restocking my inventory soon.

Edited by MrMeanGreen