LS1 info needed

Dave1647545494

my brother in law recently purchased a 98-02 T/A

it looks like the egr valve has been removed and there is a crimped off pipe sticking up from the upper manifold in the front....

it has a service engine light I'm assuming from the missing egr

is there a perfromance gain to be had here or should we find the parts and replace the stuff?

he is probably going to do lid filter and catback and maybe a tune and then just use it to cruise around in when its nice out thanks

By having had an EGR that denotes the car as a 98 to 2000.

Now on to the question at hand. It doesn't really matter which way you go being stock. If it were me I'd just remove the rest of the pipe and stick a freeze plug into it. My guess is that the egr pipe would set you back at least 50 to 100 bucks. If he wants to he could have the egr codes shut off as well with the tune you're talking about.

Get the biggest expandable soft plug u can get Autozone and crank it in snug. Mines been in since i bought the car 2 years ago and works fine :) Also make sure that the EGR is blocked on the manifolds/headers with some kinda plate. To get th SES to turn off have one of the tuners on here turn them off, takes like 5mins tops lol.

Guest Removed

light will be on due to a lack of egr...it will need shut off with hp tuners or the like. i have a hook up on that aswell.

there really is no gain from removing the egr. egr only works at part throttle cruise. most of the time, you can upgrade to a better flowing intake like the ls6 intake (02 or so up ls1 has it aswell) and there is not port for the egr.

light will be on due to a lack of egr...it will need shut off with hp tuners or the like. i have a hook up on that aswell.

there really is no gain from removing the egr. egr only works at part throttle cruise. most of the time, you can upgrade to a better flowing intake like the ls6 intake (02 or so up ls1 has it aswell) and there is not port for the egr.

+1. you can generally find them for a decent price. Just make sure you know what you're looking for as I've seen non-EGR ls1 intakes advertised as LS6 and people getting ripped off from it.

The LS6's have a flat under side with ribs that have to be shaved off where the LS1 is curved slightly.

Guest Removed
and you have to clearance the ribs for the coolant lines to fit. (coolant lines run under the intake, that or you can swap up to the later coolant lines that dont run to the back.)

and you have to clearance the ribs for the coolant lines to fit. (coolant lines run under the intake, that or you can swap up to the later coolant lines that dont run to the back.)

or you can cut and braze the coolant lines to fit instead of spending money on the LS6 kit

or you can cut and braze the coolant lines to fit instead of spending money on the LS6 kit

Ya, pretty sure my tuner took my old coolant line, and just gave me one of his that he had cut/modified. Got my LS6 intake off LS1tech for like $300.

thanks for all the info expandable rubber plug it is.....

I'm not going to need to worry about changing the intake manifold he bought the car for the t-tops the LS1 was just a bonus

Removing the EGR is one of the "Free Mods" on pre 01 LS1 motors. It does slightly increase HP of the motor. When you remove a heat source you lower intake temps and the motor will increase the power the power it makes This is also the same reasom why people do the coolant bypass in the TB. You are also removing something blocking the air flow in the center of the opening on the intake manifold. More air flow = more power.

Removing the EGR is one of the "Free Mods" on pre 01 LS1 motors. It does slightly increase HP of the motor. When you remove a heat source you lower intake temps and the motor will increase the power the power it makes This is also the same reasom why people do the coolant bypass in the TB. You are also removing something blocking the air flow in the center of the opening on the intake manifold. More air flow = more power.

but they both have their drawbacks. Gas Mileage decrease is one arguement with the EGR removal and then it may take a little longer to get to operating temp in the winter with the coolant lines bypasses.

Even still I had both done on my old car and still pulled high 20's on the highway